View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
flyingpootang
Seasoned Member

Ultimate detent mods for most barrels

These are my detent mods that I've tested and will work with almost every removable barrel. but I'll use my Buzzard for the pros and cons:

Electrical Tape inside of the barrel: No pic, but pretty self explanatory. A piece of tap inside of the barrel sometimes with a portion of it hang on the barrel lip to help it hold on.

Pros: No double feeds,Cheap, can be bought almost anywhere.
Cons: Can be a pain to get out, may get shot out, gets in the way/ can be dislodged when using a squeegee and it doesn't work well with larger paint and may cause it to blow up in the barrel.

Nail Polish inside of the barrel: No pic, but pretty self explanatory. A glob of nail polish inside of the barrel.

Pros: Cheap, can be bought almost anywhere.
Cons: Since it has to be placed further down the barrel it will not prevent double feeds, a real pain to get out, may get shot out, may need to add or start over with different balls, gets in the way/ can be dislodged when using a squeegee, and it doesn't work well with larger paint and may cause it to blow up in the barrel.

Tape around the barrel lip number 1 pic. wrap half of the tape around the out side of the barrel lip tightly, the other half will automatically fold over the barrel opening. The tape will act as a diaphram and hold the ball in the barrel (most times) before being shot. It's best to use a quaility tape such as 3M for its elasticity.

Pros: No double feeds,Very easy to install/remove and can be found every where.
Cons: My buzzard will not fire unless the pump handle is held forward unless using a larger bore barrel (.685 and up) since it will cause the bolt o-ring not to seat properly, most Carter barrels are a precise fit, so removing or installing the barrel will be a pain, doesn't work well with larger paint and may cause it to blow up in the barrel.

Fishing line mod: number 2 & 3 picI drilled a hole into my barrel just behind the ramped portion of my barrel lip. I inserted a looped piece of .012 fishing line into the hole and secured it with a small piece of electrical tape. This mod gave me a + .024 detent inside of a .689 barrel, allowing me to shoot paint as big as .689 and as small as .665

Pros: No double feeds, the detents are gauge able to any paint sizes, cheap to do, can be bought any where, doesn't interfere with the bolt o-ring, and since the sting is 2 small pieces pieces the thickness is spread around the circumference of the ball, so it will not explode in the barrel when using paint as big as .689.
Cons: The only thing I can think of is you didn't think of it first:wthumpup:

Remember it's not how many people you shoot out with a SC marker, It's all about how good you look running down the tape to bunker the last "G". Pic number 4

Last edited by flyingpootang; 05-19-2010 at 01:45 PM.
flyingpootang is offline   Reply With Quote