View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
rolondo

The Ken Gun. Copper Ditto!

I've been a fan of Ken's (KP Customs) work for a while, but this is the first one of his I've actually had the opportunity of owning. I'll post a full review once I get it to the field - hopefully Sunday. What I can tell you is the two-stage trigger is simply amazing. Half a pull shoots one barrel, The rest of the way back shoots the other. Or you can pull it all the way and shoot both simultaneously. Very cool. The humpback slider frame is very comfortable, and aiming down the barrels between the two hoppers feels natural. Of the 4 dittos that Ken made, this one seemed the most practical to me. I'll run it with the 3.5 oz shown, along with two 40 rd hoppers - probably Winchester. The pump handle is very comfortable, and pretty smooth considering you're essentially cocking two guns at once. The 14 in barrels look great, but along with the stock it's a long gun. It's great for now, but I'll probably add a couple of 8" ones down the road....maybe a add second 12" Boomstick if I can find one.

I have to admit, I took this one apart to see how it all works. The layout inside the gun is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. It's ingenious, really. I'm not going to share with you the secrets of it's design, but I was very impressed with simplicity. Hell, if I can put it back together that should tell you something.

I've argued with Ken about powder-coating vs. anodizing before. At SPE he sold me on the durability when he took a wrench and beat the crap out of an asa he had powder-coated, with no noticeable damage. It's durable stuff. No, it doesn't have quite the finished appearance that a great anno gives you. But it IS a trademark of Ken's work, and if he says powder-coating is the way to go, then I'll happily go with that on this one.

If you have ever dealt with Ken before, then you know just how seriously he takes his work. And he's one of us. Not that I expect any issues, but I have the confidence that if I ever had a question or issue - he'd be there to take care of me. For Ken it's personal - he obviously stakes his reputation on what he creates.

I know...I know. Ken's just a glorified drill press operator. He'd be the first one to tell you that. But he made something pretty damn cool. I can't wait to use it.

rolondo is offline   Reply With Quote