View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Great Equalizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
It's great because at this stage paintball becomes the first game you've ever played where there is no "right" way to do anything.
There is a lot to be said for pickup games and recreational play. My dad tells stories of the pickup baseball and basketball games of his youth, but when I was a kid no one would play unless they were involved in some sort of league. Paintball was the first sport I played where we could get together in our spare time. There were no overeager parents, no obsessed coaches and no one telling us we had to perform instead of having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
huh, I totally feel the opposite, paintball has improved every year for me, especially after I gave up expensive gear in favor of simple pump guns, minimal gear and focusing on the group of people I play with. it definitely takes good people to enjoy paintball on a regular basis though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
I miss some things about high school and the crappy paintball gear I used but mostly it was the people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
it's all in the company you keep

I'm almost at the point where I'd rather only play a few private games a year than deal with walk-on rec games.
don't get me wrong, some of the walk-on games have been an absolute blast, other times... not so much

I should really try to get back into outlaw/renegade games
I agree that it's all about the people. It is a hell of a lot more fun to play with a group that you know is going to be safe, respectful and friendly. I hate showing up at a field and discovering that half the players are dicks. We just held a game to introduce 6 new players to Paintball and chose to hold it on private land so we could be sure the newbies wouldn't be overshot by people who could afford to blow 3 cases in a day. It was one of the best games I've had in years.