View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
UR A DEAD MAN APPLES
Banned

Also, one thing for sure, make sure you remember this as a lot of refs don't. Out on the field, you are final authority, you make the calls and inforce and in some cases make up adapt the rules. Don't be afraid to make bad calls, a bad call is worse than no call at all.

I used to ref as well, but let me give you an example of a bad ref: I was play at a field and me and a kid decided we would sneak around, just to the outside of the field is a clearing that opens up but the bushes are so thick you can almost walk by and come out halfway down the field on their side. The ref came out because someone spotted us and raised the question if we were out of bounds. He came out and didn't really do anything, he asked us if we knew we were out of bounds, it was my first time playing on the field so I had no idea. I asked him where the boundry was, he responded that he wasn't sure and it was at that point someone all the way across the clearing began firing at us (and the ref) and despite getting us all in the open as we were talking to the ref, refused to stop; after trying to yell that we were out and trying to sort out if they were out, we of course got frustrated and shot back and it was iron man until the kids came out. That could have all been avoided if the ref had just made up his mind quickly and called us out(I found out later we were in fact out-of-bounds).
Even though the ref didn't know, he still should have made a call one way or the other, not hesitated until something bad happened.

It's rec ball, try and learn the rules as best you can, but sometimes you may have to make up a rule or reinterpret a rule to fill a loop-hole, make the decision to the best of your ability and stick by it then sort it out off the field.

Some other good pointers:
-For a field ref, you're more of a life guard than a paint checker. You have to enforce safety, which means you can't spend too much time in one place.
-Try and stay out of people's line of fire, but stand in a place where you can see as much of the field as possible.
-Before a game, make sure everyone knows that you can't check every questionable hit, have their teammates check instead of calling a ref.
-Stick by your calls, even if it's a bad call, even if you know you made a mistake, your word is final and make sure they know that. A good field owner will stick by his refs.
-Here is the 2011 PSP rulebook, read and memorize. Not everything applies to recball, but it is a good way to make sure you have a complete understanding of the rules. http://pspevents.com/wp-content/uplo...-Book-rev1.pdf
UR A DEAD MAN APPLES is offline   Reply With Quote