View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #47 (permalink)
NSGSplatmaster
MCB Member

First, I'm going to put my last bit of relevant info on here from the point of view as a referee. Then I'll respond to you, goat guy. My mistake for thinking I could post a conversational thread and not have it turn into internet commando "I am better than you, you suck!" nonsense. I talked about this recently to someone who was at this game: MCB really is coming off negatively in a lot of manners by forum threads. I've noticed a lot of this e-badassery and I don't think its good for the community. But hey, I dont really post that much here so, whatever.

When I am reffing, personally, I keep the skill level of the players in mind and balance the situation with the potential outcome. The worst possible outcome should sometimes be assumed. In cases where someone is about to clear a house and there are inexperienced people inside, I stay right with the play without compromising the situation. Then the person has the "dead to rights" kill ready to go, I may

-Let it happen
-Pause the intiator of the surrender and remove the players inside from play
-Rule that the surrender was inappropriate, eg, someone who calls surrender from 20 feet away when another player is still behind cover.

The surrender rule is indeed meant to protect less experienced players and varies from field to field. IN SOME CASES, I feel calling for a surrender and having the appropriate aim always takes MORE time than actually TAKING the shots. A keen referee should pick up on this and eliminate players accordingly, but this is difficult in the heat of the moment. I have seen just as many arguments over surrender rules as I have when people actually bunker each other; if anything, these arguments are compounded by a lack of understanding by both players, or the referee, or everyone involved. From a "skill" sense, no one really likes going up to someone, extending them a courtesy, and then getting a ball to the throat from point blank for their efforts. Obviously, local demographics apply; a field with a more experienced level of play or an older audience should not feel as inclined to enforce certain aspects of surrender rules as one that frequently gets younger players.

---

Part 2!

"The surrender rule causes the most consternation with inexperienced/bad players. This is the ultimate irony of the rule, because these are they players it is intended to protect. It takes practice, diligence, situational awareness, and a bit of psychology to properly use the surrender rule. (It also helps to have nerves of steel; note how OP was rattled in the video.) It requires characteristics of the player offering the surrender that they simply don't always have."

OK, I'm in the mood to play the internet game for hahas. I'm going to take your comment about blazing fast speed as blatant sarcasm, so lets not even pretend it isn't. I generally don't go around telling people they are inexperienced or bad players on threads, even if they are. It's sort of inappropriate, but I realize it makes the poster generally feel confident about themselves. Big boy pants on and hard feelings ahead!.

I generally agree with russc. We don't want to penalize aggressive players and having "no approach" rules makes for a boring game. Let me re-re-reiterate that field design often has large bunkers that accomodate tons of people where there is no viable option to "sit and pick them off". Do you propose a serious player just sits there and twiddles his thumbs?

As the OP, let me ask you this. If I'm so rattled, how do I manage to precisely one or two ball the poeple in the room? I don't like people screaming at me that I'm a cheater when they can't shoot for crap, so yes, that is irritating. How do I manage to nicely shoot the guy in the corner in his ridiculous hat instead of destroying him utterly? I even one ball the guy complaining at me in the loader. If I was really out of control and being malicious I would have just stuck my barrel in his face and ruined his day. That would have accomplished absolutely nothing. I will reiterate that someone actually came up to the field owner later on and complimented me on my level of control in the situation. We can all nitpick one video I took during my 'year off' of paintball and somehow magically come up with a clear and definitive opinion of my personal ability, sure, why not. That sounds as fun as Rick Rolling or cat videos. Patty Cake is one of my favorites. Cats Playing Patty-cake, what they were saying... - YouTube

Yes, I am pretty blazing fast. Ask anyone who has played with me. On the other hand, a second is not as short as people think. If you get yourself a pact timer used for shooting sports, you can set a "par" time for yourself and experiment in all sorts of situations. If you come into a port, you generally should see what's in the port because you want to know whats in there. At that point, if you can't eliminte everyone inside, then you take a side of the window (in the video, I'm towards the right of the window, rather than the left). If your barrel is already up, the shot to shot transition does not take long. There should not be a need for excessive upper body movement here. If you have stable legs, your upper body pivot in a port/window is rarely an extensive amount of movement; the exception are wide windows or slots in a CQC "Killhouse" situation. Contrast this with the angles of the shooters inside. Many of them were not in a good position to quickly shoot back. Guys in the front had to physically turn all the way around. Three other people had to lean all the way into the window. Only one player had a reasonable straight on shot, which is the guy that complained. He opted to try to blindfire around the window and missed his opportunity to mutual out and save his teammates.

Finally, in this particular situation, there was really no angle to eliminate any of these players from our angle from a distance as we were coming from behind and they were all ducking below the height of the windows. The specific portion of this game called for arbitrary firefights with no objective and no penalty for dying, nor did it really encourage staying alive. Myself and the group behind me could have stayed and watched this house until the time of this section of the game expired, shot no one, and then would have had to walk all the way back to our base. Excuse me for being an aggressive but in control player.

I don't have a "survive or die" mentality in recball when there's little kids and squids around. For a site that's supposed to be geared around newer players and recball, I think a few posters, through the desire to sound e-badass or through genuine opinion, may be a bit misguided on how best to approach recball scenarios. At the risk of sounding crass, if you're really ready to juice and be juiced, a tournament is the appropriate place to graduate into.
NSGSplatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote