View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Lohman446
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by danssoslow View Post
Vacations, dinning out with the one you love, wine, expensive weddings, cars, paintball guns, hamburgers.

These things are like sins, judging them on merit is as futile as the subject itself.

And what fundamental makes them different? That you keep the car? That guy also mentioned how bad of an idea it is to purchase automobiles for the investment. Watching an episode of Barret Jackson will confirm that, no doubt. At least the burger gets to be enjoyed for what it is.

And in the end, I will agree 100% that the burger is consumed more than likely by someone that made a little cash gambling. If so, good for him! Other than those guys and gals that attempt to make a living as a professional poker player, I'd bet most that come to visit the strip are there for the experience. Anyone that takes a vacation to Vegas hoping to supplement their income playing slots isn't living right.
The fundamental difference is the car retains value. It is clearly, and fundamentally different. Buy a car at Jackson Barrett and decide you do not want it after a year and you are likely to get back 90-110% of what you paid for it (minus brokerage fees). This is not considering it as an investment.

You are right that it is impossible to judge on its merit. Personally I think conspicous consumption is a problem (and that applies to cars as well). However its hard to define exactly what is conspicous consumption. How much use do I have to justify of a purchase to avoid the tag?

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote