View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #66 (permalink)
uv_halo
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0E View Post
I'm fairly certain the Perfect Circle rounds were difficult to fill & assemble. Whereas these, due largely to the fill, are easily automated and therefore cheap to produce.
Rounds made by perfect circle (i.e. Pepperball) are made under an automated process (shells are assembled and then the fill is injected). They also sell shell halves for custom, hand assembly by the end user. The cost of production is related to the time required, the relatively low count runs, the custom shell material and, the custom assembly machinery.

Hydrotec uses a commercial shell material and a custom fill material. So, why do you think they've been so late to getting this product in even a limited number of customer's hands? I'm guessing either a lack of investment or, manufacturing problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0E
I voiced concern the second day it was announced over on Punkworks and they still act as though paintball weight is only an issue with 50cal.
Given that I'm adjunct member of the Punkworks team, and that they (Bryce and Cockerpunk) turn to me for External Ballistics calculations, I can say with certainty that they understand the ballsitic performance issues associated with the higher caliber/lower density round. Here are numbers I've posted previously over there:

.683, 3g DXS Silver ball
Maximum Range: 94 Yards
Angle for Max Range: 26 Degrees
Terminal Energy: .453FtLb

.686 2.62gram Ball:
Maximum Range: 86yards
Angle for Max Range: 25deg
Terminal Energy: 0.348FtLb

.686 3.5gram Theoretical ball (ASTM max weight):
Maximum Range: 104yards
Angle for Max Range: 27deg
Terminal Energy: 0.613FtLb

Their resistance to wind, time of flight, drop, and impact energy charts all scale similarly to how the above numbers scale. Those charts can be viewed here and here.

What nobody knows is how fragile the rounds are. That would allow for a direct comparison to put the impact force in perspective. For example, are hydrotec rounds ~23% more fragile, thereby making up for the ~23% difference in impact energy at a given range. Theoretically, it could be that Hydrotec rounds are fragile enough that they break more often than the heavier ball at extended ranges.

My personal question about these rounds pertain to the shell material. With FS rounds and they higher ridigity and fragility, when they break, the edges of the broken shell can be somewhat jagged that combined with the rigidity, leads to a slightly higher amount of skin cutting/scratching on impact to bare skin(extremely minor in my opinon). I wonder how hydrotec's shell performs in this regard.

As far as hydrotec ronds encouraging spray and pray, I would say so if the cost was cheaper than current FPO prices. Simply put, the constraints of a limited weight, spherical projectile will always suck enough that accuracy through volume will be be the easiest means of getting an elimination.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote