View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
matteekay
Wait, what?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Modifying a WALZ (gasp!)

So I picked up this guy after I sold off the Kit Carson:

Seems silly, but it's pretty much exactly what I'd have WALZ build me (though I'm still on the books just in case, lol). Anyhow, the only thing I didn't love was the pump handle. It's really well done, I just like heftier pumps (strictly a preference thing). I took the lower tube apart to find that this guy had the same pump configuration as Kit - not much valve tube with a rod that slides into it and the rear of the pump and pushes a return spring:

That meant the nice Titus pump I already had would be very wobbly since it only had about 1" of valve tube to guide it.

What to do? Well... this! I first sleeved the inside of the pump with 3/4" copper piping - same OD as the valve tube, slightly tighter ID:

Next, I used a die to add some threads to the pump arm and shortened it slightly, then cut some delrin rod:

I drilled through the pump and rod and tapped the latter:

Added a leading hole for the set screw to a Sheridan CA tube plug (thanks Bacci!):

Routed out the holes in the pump and, after some careful aligning, got this!

The pump's about as (possibly more) stable than a standard pump with a valve tube under it. Slides very well so long as I don't clamp down the bottom screws as that pinches the valve tube between the pump body and the rod; I've found it's better to let the rod "float" a little. And, best of all, it's totally reversible in case I want to use Wally's pump. The only downside I've found is that I naturally want to wrap my index finger around the front of the pump... which puts it dangerously close to the business end of things.
Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote