View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #173 (permalink)
uv_halo
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Unfortunately no tested the First Strike rounds to see if they break down in soil as claimed. Some guy left them in the sun and rain for a year with zero effect. These Hydrotec rounds are supposed to break down in the same way. Hopefully someone tests this out....
Actually, FS rounds are photo-biodegradable polystyrene. They were never claimed to break down in the soil. They require sunlight to break down but, what a lot of people are ignorant of is that "biodegradable" is a term wide enough to drive a truck through with no real differentiation between 'breaks down in one year under the sun" vice "breaks down in 100yrs under the sun".

Hydrotec claims that they are using a corn-derived polymer and, generally speaking these tend to break down in the soil (bacteria, humidity and a little heat), and they tend to break down quicker than other biodegradable plastics (i.e. polystyrene).

Unfortunately, I think Hydrotec has hit an unavoidable roadblock. It's a really simple problem, how do you seal two pre-filled halves of a shell without an air bubble, or void? If you have even the slightest amount of excess fill, it will leak out at the seam, and most likely interfere with the welding of the shell. If the shell halves are not attached to the sheets when they are being welded then, you could overfill, stack the two halves, blow off excess, then weld but, this is either one step applied sequentially to every ball, or a custom, complex machine applying this same process to many balls at once.

All that being said, maybe this whole test day was to see if they could determine if this is a viable product in it's current state.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote