View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #602 (permalink)
Rover Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
I don't care what it is or what it cost.

Let's see what it does on paper at 100yards.
Which is exactly why I believe you’ll have no trouble selling every one of those SR1s. Too few companies look at it in this light, my hat is off to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
The new small-bore barrel required a major increase in the reg pressure to force a first strike down the barrel. Using 12 grams, I began to see some wild swings in the velocity of the T9.1 In my experience, swings in velocity clearly impact vertical accuracy and I was seeing the results of those swings on the field in the form of misses that should have been hits. Misses that were dead-center accurate but impacting higher or lower than they should have been for the range I was shooting. I started checking the gun against the chrono more carefully. I found that 10-15 FPS swings were pretty common using 12 grams with the small bore barrel. In large part, that was probably because the Tiberius regulator was probably outside of its optimum pressure level, but the 12 grams were also a contributing factor.
Guys like uv_halo on this forum and Chicago on the Tiberius forum were doing some parallel testing that seemed to verify my own work. The remedy to the swings was to double reg using an HPA tank. Using a 3000 CI Ninja reg set at about 400 PSI, my swings in velocity dropped to 5-7 FPS (so about a 50% improvement). It got even better when I dumped the small bore barrel and went to the .688 rifled Hammerhead barrel.
Similarly, I have shot both HPA and 12 grams through two different SR1s. I have nothing that I would characterize as definitive test, however, I have put about a dozen rounds over the chrono with both prototypes using both HPA and 12 grams. I believe that there is a definite consistency difference between using 12 grams and HPA with a second reg.

The SR1, shooting first strikes, using HPA has velocity swings of only about 2-3 FPS. In fact, two weeks ago when I first started using HPA I thought my chrono was broken because for the first three shots with the SR1 using HPA, the FPS was exactly the same. Then it varied by 1 or 2 FPS with one swing of 3 FPS.
The ultimate question for anyone using either Tiberius rifles or the SR1 is whether the difference in vertical accuracy is important enough to you to go through the bother of using a remote line with HPA. Remember though, that the ballistic chart I mentioned above was measuring the differences at just 25 yards.
As always Trinity, you hit the nail on the head. This is one question I was going to ask of those using the Lapco Tiberius Rifled barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
I think that for most people if your hand loading one round at a time you should be willing to sacrifice everything for optimum accuracy
I currently run first strike breach fed in a Trracer on unregulated C02 and I regularly get +-5 FPS. I’m sure it’s the fact that I’m not double tapping.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote