View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #110 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
Instead of worring about patten issues and who is going to send who to court, we should worry about getting players out onto the fields.
-While I agree in sentiment, the fact is that the founders of GOG are, in fact, the former founders of Smart Parts, and SP effectively launched the patent wars- which led directly to ICD and AKA dropping their marker lines, and indirectly to AGD dropping theirs.

And they did it using a patent they bought from another company, after they bankrupted them, deliberately and directly, by ordering more markers than the small business could produce, and then refusing to pay for them.

Sorry, but the GOG/ex-SP guys made their own bed, and now they have to sleep in it.

I won't badmouth this new gun just because it's a GOG product, and I may even buy one eventually. (Why not? I've owned at least one of almost everything else... ) And I'm not recommending anyone else not buy it, or suggesting any kind of a boycott. But the issue of the patents is a valid one, and absent of outright malice, makes for an interesting discussion.

Doc's Machine. Fixing, fiddling and transmogrifying markers since 1998.
The Whiteboard. Vaguely paintball-related absurdity every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Doc's Online Store! Doc's eBay Store!
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote