View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
tiny
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurferdude2 View Post
Power supply:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-C50-EMBA-D2 1250W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

My issue:
It started happening back around May or so. I would be playing a game (most likely skyrim back then). All of a sudden my game would freeze for about 10 seconds. After that initial freeze, my screen would go black and and then about 7 seconds later it would come back to the game. Back in May it would happen maybe after playing for an hour or more. Over the summer I didn't play too much so the problem disappeared so I thought.
Now (past month) this problem will happen about 10 mins into a game and even happen when watching some movies. Now if this happens twice, the screen usually goes complete black and acts like it isnt getting a signal from the card. (my monitor is saying input needed). Also sometimes after the crash happens, I get some artifacting or other glitches.

I've done multiple video card driver clean installs with old, current and beta drivers. I've disabled audio incase that was causing issues. The machine was run on all settings; high to low. When the screen has gone completely black, I unplugged and replugged the cable or switched slots. The tower was cleaned a few times. Fans are all working and air is flowing fine.
I used GPU-Z a few times to help diagnose the issues. If you want those logs, I can post them. The temps are all in the normal ranges.

One thing that is kinda pointing me in the direction of the card is on GPUZ, it monitors your GPU load as a percentage. When ever I have this freezing issue, my GPU load goes over 92%.

Normally it looks like my GPU load is in the 60-80% range but then all of a sudden, it shoot up to the high 80s and 90s which then crashes.

My guessing saying it is either a power issue or card issue. The card is either sucking so much extra power which it doesn't get or there is something faulty with the card.

This tower was built December of 2009
What are your temp ranges while playing? Do reduced graphics settings remove the problem or do you still get shoot ups to 90% load at low settings? Your powersupply has 6 +12V rails which could be a problem at high load but you have enough wattage that I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Try reducing your settings and seeing if you have the same problems, also run a heat logger while youre playing so you can monitor your peak temps. It sounds like your card is dying, this same thing happened to me with an older 8800 right before it started artifacting.

edit: Oh also there are some fixes here, you may want to try these before buying a new card: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149006813

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
Tdotballers Feedback
MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote