View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
heinous
Banned

the focus can now finally return to the body. now that the positions of the locking pins are set in stone, they were measured and the same length was marked on the micromag rail over the feedneck. then, using the good old dremel, slowly and carefully, the necessary hooks were cut into place.

then, sandpaper folded over a bar of scrap brass was used to sand out any sharp bits and flatten the cuts. this isn't just for show: paintballs are delicate after all, and might break if traveling past some sharp bits. once again, because this is HARD MODE, the sand paper and scrap brass must be factored into the budget now that they have modified the body. once again these are things that i possess prior to this project, so their prices were looked up. a strip of brass was about $3 at the arts and crafts store while cheap sandpaper was $2.

<<<money spent
velocity thumb wheel $5
dremel $30
2 springs $1.92
pliers $3
sandpaper $2
brass bars $3
>>>

in any case, the cut is now clean:

in the end, the most important thing is fit, so testing the magazine with the body was the next step. the dremel was used again to fine tune the shape of the feedneck area to fit the magazine pins. sanding was not done at this point: if the area is fine it was left alone. the end result is below:

it is on perfectly straight, the original iron sights on the magazine can still be used. here the whole thing is assembled and held in the air to prove that the magazine is securely attached to the body:

this is a poo polishing project, so why stop there while the dremel was still out, ready to polish some more? on this particular magazine, reloading was done by removing the power feed plug and dumping paint through its opening. it is tedious and risky because the power feed is a tight fit and it has no strings attached, making it easy to lose. i was already familiar with the delta 68 pistols, and knew that the member agentsmith is pretty much the expert on modifications to make reloading an easier task. researching online quickly resulted in posts by him describing the customization he used. Poor mans front feed mod agentsmith's method involves drilling a reloading hole toward the front of the magazine to allow for reloads while maintaining your aim. the drawback was the magazine spring's tendency to bend and jump outside of the tube through that new hole, because the hole was at the base of the spring where it provides the spring an escape whenever the spring is under pressure. his remedy was to bend the spring at the appropriate places, and he has it down to a science. further browsing uncovered posts by pistolrogue in which he has augmented agentsmith's method with a spring guide. Making the SA17 A More User-Friendly Primary this requires an extra hole to be drilled and material to build the guide.

i opted against agentsmith's method because i have no source for new magazine springs, meaning in case i somehow ruin the stock one while bending it then i would be out of luck. i also opted against pistolrogue's method because this is a limited budget build and i lack any cylindrical scraps to build a spring guide, meaning i would have to spend money to make the spring guide. neither method is appropriate here, but i have my own way of doing things.

as you can see above, there's already an existing hole directly over the breech. i simply enlarged it with a grinding drum on my dremel until paintballs fit.

reloading was then a simple task of twisting the powerfeed 180 degrees instead of having to yank it out entirely. you can't aim and reload at the same time like agentsmith's method, but that's not a big deal to me. the only big downside is while you can reload 10 shots, you can only reload 9 quickly. if you dump 10 shots in there and turn the powerfeed too quickly you might pinch the last ball if you're not careful. in any case an extra shot can be housed between the magazine and the breech due to the height of the rail, so even if you dump 9 balls into the tube, you should still get the regular 10 shots with an 11th in the breech. the powerfeed now can also double as a block to keep paintballs from rolling out the hole during a game, and because the hole is on the far end of the spring, it never jumps out. in fact the hole is actually out of reach of the spring thanks to its spacer at the end.

improved loading with no bent springs and no extra money spent, perfect for a limited budget poo contest. here is a size comparison of the original hole versus the newly enlarged hole for feeding:

and here it is again at another angle:

also here is the delta 68 pistol breech at the top, stock magazine upper middle, modified magazine lower middle, and modified micromag breech at the bottom for comparison. notice the distance between the hooks on the delta is too much, and that too much of it is forward of the breech, so that there is not enough length of dovetail rail on the micromag body to create a full size replica. however, it is perfectly sized for using just 2 pins.

the next task on the list is air source. i currently only have a 45/4500 hpa tank, and although i could use it, i chose to go the path of 12 grams. the tank would work but would also be bulky and i wanted to add some class to this pool. so $12 it was, to buy myself a used 12 gram changer from sean chip. with both ball loading method and air source decided upon, this poo build is now clearly directing itself toward being a pistol.

<<<money spent
velocity thumb wheel $5
dremel $30
2 springs $1.92
pliers $3
12 gram changer $12
sandpaper $2
brass bars $3
>>>

the answer of where to mount the 12 gram changer was based on a more practical reasoning. initially i went back to agentsmith, this time actively consulting him. The final AgentSmith. it turns out that in his agd sydarm days he would have a lever changer under the barrel to alleviate liquid co2 issues. unfortunately no such mounting option exists on this body, and the closest thing would be a vertical foregrip, which i rejected because it does not fit the form of a pistol. there is no point for both a compact ball source and a compact air source if it was going to be set up in a bulky fashion. the focus then shifted to a traditional bottomline. after further consideration, that position was also rejected, this time due to the length of macroline that would be necessary. i have tried out how it feels for a macroline to run along as part of the grip frame to be held in the palm during use and i did not like it. furthermore, a long macroline is just more places for co2 to make a burst, so placing part of it in the palm didn't sound like a good idea to me at all. on the other hand, if you make the macroline curve along the front or back, you're making the macroline even longer.

the final chosen spot may actually be the worst in agentsmith's eyes, and that is directly above the valve, where liquid has the highest chance to flow into the valve causing the gun to freeze. this may be completely opposite of what was recommended, however not all is bad news. the stuck angle at which the air fittings stick out of the valve means the line heading out of the 12 gram changer would need to be slightly pointing up. this acts as a little dam to help prevent liquid from falling into the valve, furthermore the macroline is now extremely short. in addition, the top of the body has that dovetail rail running down its entire length which i can utilize, because at the same time i have a rail on/off asa lying around that i have been using as a simple reg tester. had i opted for bottomline, i would need to go find an asa with screw holes and remove it from one of my other guns, so despite the risks involved, this decision has its advantages from a project standpoint. on top of it all, it also looks awesome. see for yourself the finished gun:

with the gun complete, off i went to the "autocockers vs automags" private group event held earlier this year. unfortunately, it was early august in the desert and this year's summer was extremely hot. it was 100+ degrees, possibly even 110+ degrees fahrenheit that day and simply sitting in the shade was still able to tire you out. this heat presented a problem during play, where the tiny 2 inch macroline managed to burst. i bought a very short steel hose off bacci as replacement, but decided to try another length of macroline first, and this time the macroline was fine for the rest of the day. i believe holding the gun muzzle up between games helps. however, the gun did freeze a few times when liquid seeped into the valve, the trigger became extremely hard to activate, but it fixed itself within seconds every time. i managed to play a game against bacci with it and actually hit him, but his gun was malfunctioning so it really shouldn't count... this gun at the chrono station got a modest velocity of around 268 fps if i recall correctly. i did not attempt to increase it higher because i remember the spring pack was of a rental variety, with limited fps.

and so the gun is in working condition at this point, with the money spent being listed here:

<<<money spent
velocity thumb wheel $5
dremel $30
2 springs $1.92
pliers $3
12 gram changer $12
sandpaper $2
brass bars $3

total: $56.92
>>>

at this point i realized i have merely spent half of the budget, with more than 2 months left before the deadline. knowing the likes of great artists such as walz have not only joined in on this poo polishing fray, in addition to me being on this self-imposed HARD MODE idea, i realized a plain functional gun is not good enough to wow anybody here, and that i must further polish up this pile of poo in order to stay competitive. after all, it's ****ing walz, have you seen any of his divine products in person? i mean god ****ing damn it man how the **** are we supposed to compete against that guy? how can my entry stand out? what can i build that other builders like him does not think of?

that's the question i asked myself, and while coming up with the answer, i spent my time working on my other project (yes, i have another unrelated project in the works), browsing the internet, looking at funny cats, gangnam style videos, and funny cats reacting to gangnam style videos. this dragged on until i saw a post on russc's wall that made me joke about doing gangnam style during a game. at that moment, i realized i just gave myself the answer.

walz (probably) does not think of gangnam style during a game. i do.

you know how pistols have attachments like LAMs (laser aiming modules) and LLMs (laser light modules)? i have always found those to be tacticool, so i'm going to build my own module of a brand new class, a TSM.

Last edited by heinous; 10-28-2012 at 08:12 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote