View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
heinous
Banned

THEME SONG MODULE

so with $40 or so left in the budget, i set off to realize my newfound objective, and although i may be just spending $40 on something that might not work at the end of the day, i was okay with that, because as you may know:

and not just any message, but a very special message in korean by a guy named psy; and the race was on, because gangnam style's bound to fall out of popularity sooner or later. (actually i could always do rick roll instead but gangnam style's more energetic)

the first order of things is the speakers. the mag pistol is actually quite a large gun, so it may be able to accommodate a large size module. nonetheless, i set out to find the smallest set of stereo speakers readily available, and was able to scout out a pair of insignia flat panel portable speakers for laptops the low price of $17. they are perfect, sleek, amplified, and can run off batteries. they even come with their own tiny portable battery box.

alas, putting them next to the mag pistol brings things into perspective, these tiny speakers are still too large. i had to find another candidate, which i quickly spotted in the form of a keychain portable speaker at the extremely low price of $10. it's a cube roughly the dimensions of the new ipod shuffle. sadly, i couldn't find a black one, and i wanted to squeeze everything possible out of my budget by making the gun both functional and stylish, so that didn't work out. it may have been for the better because it may not be a very loud speaker anyway.

the next hopeful came in the form of the hmdx jam portable wireless speaker. the quirky packaging caught my eye, and upon closer inspection it is a tiny bluetooth speaker that is also amplified by a rechargeable battery. i thought i had found the speaker i needed until i looked at the price tag: $50 lol **** that.

at long last, my adventures at the electronics department of every chain store in the area has landed me in front of the ihome expandable portable speaker. i snatched one at the fair price of $22.62, deciding to go with the mono version for its price as well as shape: 2 round speakers wouldn't look as good as just 1.

<<<money spent
velocity thumb wheel $5
dremel $30
2 springs $1.92
pliers $3
12 gram changer $12
sandpaper $2
ihome speaker $22.62
brass bars $3
>>>

i didn't take pictures of the speaker by itself, but here's one from the intenet, mine is just translucent black.

with the rat race for a speaker over, attention now goes to how to mount it. here, the previous decision to place the 12 gram changer above the valve paid off. the unused screw hole under the barrel, normally used for foregrips, now offers a place to anchor the speaker. returning to the scrap brass assortment, this time i pick out a thinner strip to fabricate a mounting plate. the thinner choice allows me to easily shape it using the same pair of pliers that i have already factored into the budget, allowing me to save costs. the dremel was used to drill the screw hole for the same budget-saving reason. drilling the hole on the plate for the screw was more difficult than drilling things on the body, because this part is smaller; so i had no choice but to use a quick release bar clamp. HARD MODE rules mandate i add it to the budget since the clamp participated in fabricating a custom part. the bar clamp was bought for $2.14.

<<<money spent
velocity thumb wheel $5
dremel $30
2 springs $1.92
pliers $3
12 gram changer $12
sandpaper $2
ihome speaker $22.62
brass bars $3
quick release bar clamp $2.14
>>>

here is a progress picture of the brass mounting plate with 1 hole drilled:

however, i am not satisfied with the brass color. the rest of the gun is either nearly black or chrome, a single piece of brass sticks out like a sore thumb. on the other hand, a can of spray paint is expensive in the perspective of this build. i am at this point $80.68 into the budget and am really pushing it to a greater extent than i feel comfortable. therefor i brainstormed all my viable coloring options. i could always get a dollar sharpie and fill the brass with black ink, but that ultimately looks way too ugly. after some thinking i decided to cover the brass with tape, and between black electric tape and black duct tape, both of which are in my possession, i chose the latter for its versatility. they're cheap at the right stores and i'm not using nearly the entire roll of duct tape here, but let's face this HARD MODE budget build challenge head-on and use the price of the whole roll: $2, which is overkill anyway.
<<<money spent
velocity thumb wheel $5
dremel $30
2 springs $1.92
pliers $3
12 gram changer $12
sandpaper $2
ihome speaker $22.62
1brass bars $3
duct tape $2
>>>

with the plate covered up, i still need to get the correct screw to anchor it to the body, so a return trip to the hardware store again resulted in me finding the right screw for this at the price of $0.12. yes, the screw matters too. this is a poo polishing contest, you gotta be fair and count the things you didn't just find in your bin.

<<<money spent
velocity thumb wheel $5
dremel $30
2 springs $1.92
pliers $3
12 gram changer $12
sandpaper $2
ihome speaker $22.62
brass bars $3
screw $0.12
duct tape $2
>>>

after all is said and done, the plate is finally test-fitted. here it is on the foregrip attachment using the new screw:

during the test fit, it became apparent that the cord for the speaker is way too long. i had intended for my mp3 player to be attached to the grip panels like one would find the laser switch on a LAM. the cord must be like 3 feet long, with a huge clip to organize it that you cannot remove without destroying, which makes sense for its intended purposes for a laptop, but not here. i can wrap it around the gun like 4 times. to be more exact, i HAVE to wrap it around the gun like 4 times to get it out of the way. it would work, but it is not up to my standards in terms of style. this is a poo polishing contest, my poo needs to be shiny at the end of the day.
to make matters worse, the cord seems to be proprietary, so not only might radioshack lack what i need to make a new cord; but if i wanted to shorten it, i may not be able to find a replacement in case of failure. worst of all i was pressed for time. at this point in the building process, i am at the night before the private group in which i intend to show up to test this gun. sure, i could always go to a walk on game another weekend, but i don't want to do that, because the weather was still hot as hell at this point and truth be told: i really couldn't be arsed to go to the park if there wasn't going to be a group of friends waiting there. not even to test my project, not in this hot *** weather, in the desert, no way, no how.

with all of this in my mind, while i also have less than 20 bucks to spend, i convinced myself that a trip to radioshack isn't even worth it. i ended up going to the 24 hour drug store next door to see if a product exists that organizes wires. i was in luck and purchased this cord wrap, probably at an inflated price, but still probably cheaper and quicker than modifying the cord. internet product photo:

like i said, i probably bought it at an inflated price, but i am fairly confident it would cost time and money to either shorten or make a brand new cord, only to still be unsure if that would work afterwards. all in all i believe this was the right decision, and it cost me $6.45

<<<money spent
velocity thumb wheel $5
dremel $30
2 springs $1.92
pliers $3
12 gram changer $12
sandpaper $2
ihome speaker $22.62
brass bars $3
screw $0.12
cord wrap $6.45
duct tape $2
>>>

opening up the cord wrap at home reveals hooks inside for the cord, but immediately i thought of other ways to utilize them.

however, first it needs to be attached to the brass plate. originally double sided tape was going to be used to simply stick the speaker to the plate. now with this cord wrap, the plan has changed. testing the fit, i find the size of everything together was still acceptable as a pistol "module," and after a few juxtaposition attempts i decided to place the cord wrap between the plate and speaker. 2 small holes were drilled on the plate and matching holes were drilled on one side of the cord wrap. the holes were once again drilled with the dremel to save cost.

the holes were meant for steel wires, which i have. i use them for my helmet camera, and the creativity i developed while figuring out how to attach that thing to my mask is paying off here and now. the foresight to use pliers also paid off as well, because i'm using the same pair to cut and shape the wires.
still, it needed to be more secure than just wires if i wanted the theme song module to not fall apart. therefor i am employing the double sided tape i was going to use to mount the speaker here as well.

this is the strongest roll of double sided tape in the store and it cost me $7.51, and yes, because this is HARD MODE, it counts. the price for the whole roll is going into the budget.

<<<money spent
velocity thumb wheel $5
dremel $30
2 springs $1.92
pliers $3
12 gram changer $12
sandpaper $2
ihome speaker $22.62
brass bars $3
screw $0.12
cord wrap $6.45
duct tape $2
extreme mounting tape $7.51
>>>

so the wires were taken out, the double side tape applied, the cord wrap holes aligned with the brass plate holes, adhered to each other, and the steel wires were reinserted here to thread through the holes for a more solid attachment. i've already mentioned i already own the steel wires, but a quick look on google reveals they are only $2 for the cheapest rolls anyway, and that's also for a whole roll here and i'm not using nearly a whole roll of anything.

<<<money spent
velocity thumb wheel $5
dremel $30
2 springs $1.92
pliers $3
12 gram changer $12
sandpaper $2
ihome speaker $22.62
brass bars $3
screw $0.12
cord wrap $6.45
duct tape $2
wires $2
extreme mounting tape $7.51
>>>

once the wires are secured, the ends were positioned inside the cord wrap, twisted tight, and then covered with duct tape to avoid damaging the speaker cord in the future. duct tape is already part of the budget, so the choice to tape the plate instead of painting it was a wise choice after all.

moving on to the speaker. the bottom of it has a sticker for identification. it isn't helping the build, and having it there will only hinder the adherence of the double sided tape, so it has to go. luckily it comes off with some careful pulling, in one piece, no less.

the double sided tape is finally applied to the back of the speaker.

the same tape was applied to the cord wrap, then the speaker was aligned carefully and pressed onto the cord wrap. 2 layers of squishy double sided tape were used here. the idea is that since the surface of the cord wrap isn't flat, the fluff of the 2 layers would hopefully help increase the surface area that is being adhered.

more wires were used to wrap around the speaker to anchor it to the cord wrap more securely, but that wasn't pictured above. in any case, the cord is then neatly wrapped and placed into the cord wrap casing, with the necessary plugs poking out. the mp3 player is about to be wrapped to the grip. i already own the mp3 player and it is not being used to make a custom part, so it counts as my poo pile as far as budget goes even according to HARD MODE rules. the back of it has a big clip which i was going to fully utilize.

the elastic band also comes from my pile of non-paintball related poo. it's a laser button holder for an old airsoft pistol's laser aiming module, and it just wraps around the grip nicely. of course i always had the option of using the black duct tape here as well, but looks matter, and i already have an elastic band originally made for this purpose, so i may as well use it.

the thin brass that was chosen as the attachment plate was easy to shape, but presented its own problems. its lack of rigidity allows the TSM to wobble quite a bit. while it would never show in pictures, it is not good enough for me. i want it to be also functional and i imagined hearing a song from a wobbling directional speaker, and its volume is going to be quite annoying. on the other hand i am $99.76 into the budget and am really pinching pennies here. there was no way i could get any raw materials to anchor something for under a quarter...

enter duct tape. once again the foresight in component choice swoops in to save the day. a short length was ripped and rolled carefully, then folded in half for a even more 3 dimensional shape. every roll was pulled tight to ensure a solid chunk of duct tape was the result.

it was then wedged in the gap between the brass plate and trigger guard, then simply secured with even more duct tape. the TSM was now successfully and securely attached to the gun.

Last edited by heinous; 10-28-2012 at 05:31 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote