View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
GoatBoy
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
-The 'Mag hit the fields in late '89 to early 1990. The first electro didn't appear 'til 1996, and the first eyes came out in '99 or so.

In that decade between the Mag and the eye, AGD made over 150,000 Automags in various flavors, so the twist-lock barrel was well and firmly established.

But you are right, when making the aluminum-bodied X-Mag they used 'Cocker threads in part to more easily accommodate the built-in eye. But also in no small part for ease of manufacture and weight (the XM was already a chunk because of the giant battery pack) but most of all because it was going to be center feed.

CF was rapidly becoming the style at the time, to the point where nobody even wanted right/left feeds anymore. The X-Mag was supposed to be AGD's premier flagship tourney marker, and tourney players demanded center feed.

Since CF twist-lock barrels basically didn't exist (there's a few out there, but they're almost as rare as Satco 700s) the decision was made to go with far more common 'Cocker threaded barrels.

I think stating that the twist-lock system was well and firmly established in answering a question as to why it didn’t catch on is kind of a contradiction.

It was only established for one marker manufacturer, and that was AGD. It only took one player to kill the twist-lock off: AGD.

The problem I have with timing/manufacturing being a motivating factor for AGD was that they were still using the twist-lock as of 2000, when the E-Mag came out. I’d bet they would have happily continued using the twist lock if the main drawback was indeed just pain of manufacturing. (Not saying “pain of manufacturing” doesn’t make a difference; I’m just saying that AGD didn’t seem like the type to care about such things.)

They were really just pushing the pain off to someone else anyways if you think about it -- a twist lock barrel might be a pain to make, but the body itself is probably made easier. So why stop continuing to push that pain onto the barrel manufacturers (and the customer for that matter)?

I can totally see AGD saying, “Oh, our barrels are harder to make? Too bad, because our gun is awesome, twist lock is awesome, and by the way twist lock makes our bodies easier to make, so screw you. You guys better get to work on those CF barrels.”

Right up until they realize... oh crap, we need to fit eyes in this thing. OK, let’s switch barrels.

Yes, I know, I’m very cynical.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote