View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #436 (permalink)
kevinatdye
R&D Engineer

I'd say you can eek out a bit more then he has, but those are good numbers.

The dwell is literally the amount of time that the solenoid is activated.

The reliability will be in things like first shot drop off and bolt stick. You will not increase or decrease the wear to the bolt by adjusting the dwell. The reason you need more lube is because by lowering the dwell you are trying to get the bolt to cycle with less volume of air. Therefore less energy is available to the system. So the assembly must be thoroughly lubricated to minimize the friction caused by the o-rings.

So if that makes sense then you'll understand why you get the first shot drop off and the bolt stick. A low dwell just barely tips the system into cycling and a large dwell ensures complete bolt cycle even in bad conditions. Its like holding the handle down longer when you flush. Bad imagery? If you want to be more water efficiency, you cut back on the volume of water released into the cycle.

So this will not affect boll chop or barrel breaks or anything else. It really only affects air/power efficiency and bolt stick/first shot drop off.

The procedure we suggest is to set the dwell low then slowly raise it until the bolt cycles. Then load up and go chrono. Raise the dwell until you see no significant affect on the velocity. Once you are there you can usually drop it a point or two.

Please only do this if you are Very comfortable with the board and fully understand what the dwell is affecting. I can't tell you how many "broken" guns i have fixed by resetting a circuit board.

Last edited by kevinatdye; 11-14-2012 at 06:06 PM.
kevinatdye is offline   Reply With Quote