View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #44 (permalink)
desertT1
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
The O.P. was a little vague in the request but, he did convey that he was looking for test data reflecting the effect of BPS on one's ability to pass through without being hit. Later, he stresses that he wants to see the math-related to the test.

As far as the Punkworks test goes, it's the most comprehensive test to date and, yes it has limitations. the premise of the test was whether or nor a certain BPS would be able to lock down a lane. What they got right in the test- a fixed marker, operating at known BPS rates, known distances, an assortment of runners, starting a lane at hip height, then having a runner run through it. Unfortunately, I can't find the data so I can't comment on findings and I can't find any discussions of the data. I suspect that the forum might have lost some posts because it's unusual that in the actual post-test thread, there's no significant discussion and, in the previously linked thread, the topic ends with the posting of the video. Without that information, I cannot say if they accounted for bounces in the data nor, can I comment on their findings. If I actually cared about laning performance, I would ask Bryce or Cockerpunk about it.

As far as the math goes, nobody has ever really posted any meaningful theories. A lot of folks attempt to theorize based on the size and velocity of the runner, the distance between shots, the velocity, and, in some cases, the average lateral and vertical spread of the rounds. Accounting for the trajectory factors seems to be fairly straightforward however, it's the target that is the bigger problem. It's not just a forward moving monolith but, a multi-jointed object with segments moving forward and rearward along the direction of travel.

For example, imagine that you are a paintball traveling down the lane in the perfect ballistic trajectory (meaning you're straight as an arrow and dropping due to gravity and drag). A runner is intersecting with your path from your right. What part of him will intersect your path first? One of his arms as they rotate forward and back? His body? Which part of him will be in the path when you reach him? Maybe you miss his left arm and hit his body, or maybe your flying at just the right speed to where you miss his left arm and body and instead, hit the inside of his right arm. Trying to model this on paper would be pretty much impossible for most (if not all) of us. And this is with the simplified ballistic flight.
To do this, you would have to combine the physics of it with the statistics. Measuring the average spread of paintballs has been done several times in accuracy tests. Using that and the known BPS you are using, you could determine the window of time and distance the player has to get through from ball to ball. You could set up photo gates and have a runner go through several times to account for the moving extremities triggering early and late in the process. This is still just testing if a runner can fit in the window though. No matter who is doing the running, if they cross the lane at the end of the window they will lose.

Because of that one aspect (timing of the player running into the lane) I don't really care if anyone does the math or not. It has been shown that you can fit through a lane, it just depends on the timing, which is something that the runner can't control, so it's a matter that is out of their hand and essentially boils down to luck.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote