View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
Festa
BOB LONG!

CCM Fan
OMG NECROREVIEW WARNING

Since my post back in March I've picked up an MVP and have been using it constantly for around six months. I've learned a few things about the gun and wanted to contribute to an already comprehensive review.

- This gun is probably the most consistently shooting gun over the chrono that I own. I attribute that not only to the care taken to the internals but also to the entirely closed body design. I play on dusty fields so I really do appreciate this setup.

- Short-stroking with a gravity hopper is rare but can be catastrophic when it does happen. As others noted it is possible to short stroke it. I rarely do it but when it does happen I tend to pinch/break paint between the feedneck and the bolt. Since I only use tournament paint this becomes a gooey mess that can only be cleaned on the sidelines. My solution to this is to simply use a force-fed hopper on this gun. With my Rotor I never ever pinch a ball no matter how fast or sloppy I am with the pump action. I don't like doing it because I love how light the gun is but I can't see any other way around it. I don't want to risk pinching or breaking a ball mid-game no matter how rare it happens with a gravity hopper. It will eventually happen and when it does (for me at least) it is always at the worst possible time.

- I've learned to use a dab of blue Loctite on the grip-frame screws to prevent them from backing out during the normal vibration of play. On most guns it isn't a big deal but for this one you really can't have screws backing out for two big reasons: 1) the gap created between the sear and hammer will mess with your guns timing causing erratic autotriggering or misfiring. 2) the o-ring that seals the macro-less air passage from the regulator to the valve will tear or spit out under pressure if there is a minor gap between trigger frame and the gun body. Both issues are easily avoidable by simply keeping your frame screws secure. As Franklin said, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Those are pretty much the only nuggets of insight I can add as the rest has already been marvelously covered.

No gun is ever going to be without its flaws so I just take them along with the sum of its merits and play according to its strengths. That said I do love this gun, quirks and all. It sits along side my T2 and Phantom as my favorite guns to shoot.