View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #164 (permalink)
No Mercy Ever
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Yup. It's $300 to open the field. So 10 renters at $30 (normally). Under normal circumstances, they wound need between 15 and 20 players with their own equipment (it depends on whether the players bring their own paint or not). Before you go to far with that last thought, any "League Play" would require FIELD PAINT ONLY. Kind of as a way to throw the field owner a bone, everyone would be charged the same $30, rental or own equipment. So we're still talking $300 for ten players. That $10-$15 for each guy with his own equipment goes for Refs and stuff.

Think of it like this, Everyone pays $30 per day to use the field. Rentals are free (or at a reduced price - negotiable) to get a few NEWBIES hooked... Or remove the "I'm not buyin' a crappy blow-back just to play in this stupid league," excuse. OR to give a guy a way to keep playing in the event of a mechanical issue with his gun.

I believe that most participants will bring their own gun at the very least, so the field will get $15 (+/-) per participant who bring his own stuff. Now, that $30 only buys you 500 paintballs, which I am pretty sure they players will go through in just a game or two, so the field owner will also have some paint sale profit to add to his bottom line.

The down-side... EVERYONE rents guns... Then we'll need some volunteer refs (parents? ).

Whoa! I DO remember Pan-Am. Thanks for reminding me! Kind of a cool event - and there are similarities.

[Da Rules]

I'm not a super-huge fan of "Points Systems", but I can see why they would be useful. I like the simple Capture the flag/elimination system - It's like boxing, anyone can tell who won the boxing match.

I also like their "Young Guns" classification (limited to 100 paintballs/game). Interesting that this tournament ran for three(?) years and was basically "Hopperball" (200 ball/player limit for 5-man teams, 500 ball/player for ten-man teams).

The idea of 3-man teams with 500 paintballs per player has been bugging me. Seems a little high for this kind of League play. But... It is also "best of three" matches, so 500 paintballs over a three-game series does not sound too bad at all. So, once step onto the field, you don't get any more paint until someone wins the match.
Keep in mind that it is one thing for a field to accommodate a group when they are normally open, it's another to open up on days that they aren't normally open, to have a group. I can't speak for your particular fields, I only remember running mine. So if a field says $300 for 10 people, $30 per person for each person beyond that, and that gets them one ref, don't expect them to give you a deal because you are talking about doing this as a league night, once a week for X number of weeks. After all, what happens if you only get nine teams? A good idea would be to divide them up into three divisions of three teams. Meaning that only nine people are now paying the $300, not 12 paying $360. And if the opener is used to $300 for 10 people, from that, he is putting out 2 1/2 cases of paint, paying one ref, possibly paying a shack worker, and the use of the place, he does need to make money, so don't expect more from him while not giving him more.

Also, don't even think about getting parents or SO's to ref. if they aren't players, not that they have to play the league, but they need to play to understand what to look for and such, they aren't going to ref well, and that can destroy your league before it gets going. I have seen it happen.

Seriously, talk to you field owner about this, they may be able to help you out.

Oh, and Pan-Am was around for more than three years, but maybe five or six total. One thing about the 200 max per person, there was a way around that. Players would show up with 2 100 round pods, and everyone would immediately dump a pod into their hoppers. Then they would top off their hoppers, not using the full second pod. In the end, everyone had full hoppers, with one pod left (Remember, Revvies and Halos held around 180 paintballs each), so they had one back player who could lane for a moment, and still get a pod to top off.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote