View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #166 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
Keep in mind that it is one thing for a field to accommodate a group when they are normally open, it's another to open up on days that they aren't normally open, to have a group. I can't speak for your particular fields, I only remember running mine. So if a field says $300 for 10 people, $30 per person for each person beyond that, and that gets them one ref, don't expect them to give you a deal because you are talking about doing this as a league night, once a week for X number of weeks. After all, what happens if you only get nine teams? A good idea would be to divide them up into three divisions of three teams. Meaning that only nine people are now paying the $300, not 12 paying $360. And if the opener is used to $300 for 10 people, from that, he is putting out 2 1/2 cases of paint, paying one ref, possibly paying a shack worker, and the use of the place, he does need to make money, so don't expect more from him while not giving him more.
The cost to participate would be $30/person/game at the example field - that price would change at different venues due to differences in local tax, operating costs, paint costs, etc.... The example field states that they must have a minimum of $300 to open the field. For 20 teams, he would get $3,600 (20x3=60 players. 60 players x $30 field fee =$1,800. Since there are preliminaries and Finals - it's $1,800x2 of $3,600) - not including paint sales beyond the initial 500/player. So for $30 a renter gets gun, mask, hopper, 500 paintballs, and pods. If every player brought his own equipment, he would normally pay $15 in field fees, but for the league he still pays $30, SO the $15 per player that would normally go to pay for rental equipment now goes in the field owner's pocket. Meaning if EVERYONE brought their own equipment, Freddie Fieldowner gets an extra $1,800 - and that's before he sells any paintballs - sold at about a 50% profit margin from what I have been able to dig up (it's a fair bet that even with the restricted hopper, these guys will go through the initial 500 balls pretty quickly).
[But then, does it really cost $15 to run a Tippmann 98 for three hours?]

Will it be enough? eh... We may need to charge a little more for the privilege of being in the league. Either way, the minimum limit for week-day play is a decent starting point.

Also, don't even think about getting parents or SO's to ref. if they aren't players, not that they have to play the league, but they need to play to understand what to look for and such, they aren't going to ref well, and that can destroy your league before it gets going. I have seen it happen.
I never really thought parents would really ref, or even stick around to watch their kids play. Again, (as I've mentioned a few times) this is negotiable.

Seriously, talk to you field owner about this, they may be able to help you out.
Will do. Working on the proposal and rules between postings.

Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
I like that better but then we come to another question. Say I field a team - myself and two other players who wanted to come for the first round.

Define team. That is when I show up with myself and two other players for the second round are we still the same team? Does a team need 3/3, 2/3, 1/3 players to be considered the same team?

What if I go and play with a couple new players and get third or fourth and the next time I show up with an extremely good player? In a three man one extremely good player can carry a team.
Your team is made up of the three players on your roster. Roster must be provided to referees prior to playing first game in first match. No changes to the roster are permitted (unless you can get the people running the league to agree to it).
"Sorry, I'm programmed to do that..."

Last edited by ironnerd88; 12-01-2012 at 07:51 PM.
ironnerd88 is offline   Reply With Quote