View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #128 (permalink)
cdrinkh20
Man in Tights

Well, there are plenty of options for minimalist footwear nowadays...

I have 3 Fivefingers now, the New Balance Minimus Zero, Inov-8 Trail Roc 245 (3mm drop)...the Saucony Kinvara trail I almost got (but didn't because I wanted flexible shoes torsionally and they had carbon rock plates separated at midfoot).

You can find some from many running shoe manufacturers. Inov-8 is one my new favourites (particularly for trail shoes)--there are some "Bare" Inov-8s that get as thin as the fivefingers but without the toes. Plenty of the shoes around can hit zero mm drop but still have some cushioning to them...

I'm waiting to get some Brooks PureGrit I won at work, and I'm looking to pick up some Mizuno Wave Universe 4s (they are 3-4mm but they weigh less than 4 oz in a Men's 9!).

I work at the Running Room and we get a ton of people whose doctors and podiatrist recommend New Balance shoes in particular...don't know why. Asics, Saucony, Mizuno, Brooks...all good brands. Nike doesn't work for me but they make some good ones (all about arch placement, Nike puts it further back it seems like).

Just make sure you try on several so you have something to compare to.

Also....I don't have money for it now () but there is a Kickstarter with one week left....barefoot, Vibram soled, handmade in USA leather dress shoes. Sounds badass--I hate dress shoes. Altum's Barefoot Dress Shoe by Altum: Men's Barefoot Dress Shoe — Kickstarter
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote