Thread: "rain cover"
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #180 (permalink)
DocsMachine
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Like you, Doc, I'd be much happier to see a hard copy letter of approval for JCurt's baffled barrel tip[...]
-Current 'hard copy' straight from the ATF's website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATFE
"Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax."
-I don't know how often that page is updated (edit: the text is exactly the same as it was in 2002 at least) but in my opinion, until we see an official source like that reflect whatever changes Crooker did or will produce, it'll remain very risky to build or own one.

On a lighter note, here's a posting by Bill Mills from back in '96, where an ATF agent essentially tells him he'd have to fill out Form 1 and pay the $200 transfer tax just to send in... a piece of PVC tubing and some crumpled toilet paper.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!

Last edited by DocsMachine; 12-11-2012 at 07:08 AM.
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote