View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Azodin Kaos Pump 2

This is my first pump that I've owned, but I've used plenty. I've used Phantom's and sniper style markers that my friends own, and always kinda of aspired to a phantom. When I saw the KP I realized it suited my type of play better.

First Impressions:
Well i got my KP2 on Ebay for 80$, in the box with all stock parts.
The first thing I did was threat the hitman mod onto the pump arm.
I find holding the foregrip with a single finger on the hit man rod to be
the easiest way to minimize marker movement during pump stroke. I clicked
the pump arm back and was very surprised.

1. The Pump arm is very smooth. We're not quite talking CCM style butter out of the box, but honestly I imagine it could attain the same feel with some tuning. Easily nicer Pump stroke then any cocker with an aftermarket pump kit, or WGP sniper markers (factor pumps) (not the ccm version though ).

2. Using the hitman rod makes pumping a very snappy motion. To be honest I'm not a fan of auto triggers, I think they make pumps bad semis (the pump becomes a trigger, but its hard to aim and pump quickly from a pump arm). I think the hitman rod gives pumpers just enough added speed. Further it allows one to keep firing at a target (if given the chance) without pumping throwing off the targeting. It may be smoother to use the arm itself, but its faster, more accurate and prevents the farting sound to use the modrod.

3. Looks like a Spyder's body, Does not feel like one. I remember pulling my first marker out of the (Crap) box it came in. A spyder pilot. It felt like it was going to fall apart in my hand. Not the KP. The trigger frame is in tight. The screws fit in well and snug with no movement. Everything is standard. Stock macro line. A vent on the stock asa. All the things spyder never did for their basic markers. Even a regulator on mine, (and all newer KP2s.) This is not another spyder clone, its a spyder body with a sniper style pump marker inside.

4. Woah its light. With a small (50rd) Hopper and co2 tank it weights less then any other paintball set up I have ever used. The marker is about the same weight as my ion, and everything going on it is smaller. Great profile, never getting a marker hit really.

5. Easy to take apart/put back together. I'm not the handiest. When I used a matrix I had teammates tech it most of the time. I broke this marker down in 5mins, and put it back together without uttering a single curse. It's quick, its easy, its basic, you cant mess up. Bolt comes out SUPER EASY. Can be field stripped FOR SURE (by a blind monkey). Lift the cocking rod out. bolt slides out. Delrin so no lube on bolt.

Issues out of the Box:

Spring: I don't like the stock spring. Azodin does not yet make a spring kit, so your going to have to mod spyder springs. You could use something a bit stiffer as its going to have a hard time besting 300fps w/ stock spring. It's easy to modify spyder spring kits into the KP though, and there are plenty of more handy people to help (then me).

Barrel: It's nice, but HUGE. As a Pump player your going to want to be able to hit what you shoot at. The stock barrel is massive and most paint will not be flying to0 well out of it (at least thanks to a clever detant it won't roll out). If you live somewhere with bigger paint, it might actually be PERFECT. But I'd recommend buying something in a .683 (or even 81) to deal with small paint. Stock is about 89.

ASA: It's solid. It vents well and the threads are solid (and don't strip like kingman's do) but still on/offs SHOULD honestly be standard. We ALL buy them because it makes the sport safer and easier to play. So markers should start coming with them even if it adds 10$ to the final price. But Azodin has been doing that on some of its markers already (in a price range you wouldn't expect to see it) so we can wait and see).

Feedneck: Actually the twisting feedneck works perfectly for all of my hoppers, but the older version people have issues with. I love the feedneck on the KP2.

Recommended Upgrades:
Spring Kit (Modified Spyder)
.683, .681 Barrel
On/off ASA

Final thoughts:

Honestly, I think this is one of the best open class Pump markers. Certainly in its price, but I think it's such an open design with so much room for personalization that a lot of people won't feel the need to "upgrade" to another pump marker. The KP pump is a well made marker, and with a few upgrades I would take it over almost any thing else for an open class game.

Ideal Personal KP2 Setup:

Regulator: AKA 2-Liter w/ HP Spring.
ASA: Azodin On/Off
Techt Bolt or Zero (personal preference, don't go near the Hush)
Deadly Winds CF Barrel Kit (with focus on underbore)
50 Round Hopper
13ci HPA Tank
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote