View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #146 (permalink)
uv_halo
Paintball Ballistician :P

I saw The Hobbit, in HFR 3D and I liked it.

I did a lot of 24 vs 30FPS research as I went through the effort of making my first and second home theaters (Projector, HTPC, 7.1 sound system) 24 and 30FPS friendly. In my reseach, I came across a lot of discussions regarding 24 vs 30 FPS content. The only impression I had was that 30FPS content was nearly always made for TV and, that sci-fi content often looked cheaper but, I always attributed that to the quality of the sets, costuming, lighting, etc, given that they often have lower budgets. This may be why a lot of folks associate high frame rates with 'cheap'.

After a recent discussion with a coworker, I started to think about the 24FPS vs HFR 3D choice this way:

When you see a movie, do you feel it should be presented as a story or, do you wish to feel you are in it?

The way I see it, HFR 3D is simply too realistic to give one the feeling of a presentation. There were only two occasions where I saw something I probably would not have seen in a 24FPS format:
During the trek through the mountain pass (before, and during the stone giant fight), I could clearly see the rain drops hitting the rock wall, and in the foreground but, I never saw a raindrop hit a face.
During some of the outdoor, full daylight scenes, the texture of the screen could be seen in the sky (might've just been this theater but, I suspect that it's the result of our eyes receive more light at 48FPS than 24).
I've always been one for feeling immersed in the film. I hate noisy crowds (which is why I DIY'd my own theater), and other distractions. The 3D use in this film added to the immersion- there were no over the top tricks with it. so, in the end, this format did it for me.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote