View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Menace
Perfection will suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_i_s_c_u_i_t View Post
So why did you not put them in the dryer?????
Check the label.

They are likely nylon or a nylon/poly blend.

While poly isn't overly fond of heat, it can take it in low doses. Nylon, on the other hand, is profoundly degraded by it. Very low melting temp, and in general very delicate with respect to heat, UV, etc. Great abrasion resistance, but dryers will kill it.

And yes, I'm sure many will pile on with fervent declarations of how often they chuck their stuff in the dryer, and how wonderfully it works, and how awesomely fine their pants are, after ten thousand washer/dryer cycles.

For comparison, think of the Jersey tanning mom. Lots of people bake their skins in the sun's oven. Does it work? Sure! Does it seem to be fine for a while? Sure!

But irreparable damage is being done, even if it doesn't appear to be the case.

Synthetics wick moisture very rapidly, so you don't need to use heat anyway. Just put them on hangers and stick them in front of a fan or drape them over the back of a chair that won't be harmed by moisture, and go to bed. In the night, little moisture fairies will cart off all that water and leave you with nice, dry fabrics.

If you really can't sleep get them near a heater/ac vent (a heater vent won't produce enough heat to harm the pants-it's the moving air that matters).

But rest assured the fold that made the pants know what it's made of, and how best to care for the fabric.

Hope that helps.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote