View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Grendel
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
Hello, folks.

I am a machinist by trade with 3 certifications (Machinist I, CNC I, CNC II) and 2 years work experience (plus classroom time). I also have an interest in military service, and would like to do something with my life while I am young. I have long been thinking about combining these two interests, and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the subject.

Basically, what would I have to do to be employed as a machinist in the Navy? I have no problem enlisting, but is there a way to ensure I get the gig as a machinist? Meet and exceed educational requirements, perhaps.

Ideally, I'd like to work on a ship, say a carrier, and travel around the world while machining. I know that is naively romantic, and serving in the military isn't about niceties, but it would be nice. That said, I would have no problem working in a shop.

I appreciate any insight.
The rating that you are looking for is Machinist Mate [MM]. Then what exactly you do with that rating and jobs your routinely do would depend on your background, aptitude and what "C" schools you get.

Machinist Mate Wiki

While I was not an MM in the Navy I worked very closely with "A Gangers" and Nuke MMs as I was an Nuke Reactor Operator [ET] on submarines. Not all Machinist Mates are machinists. Machinist Mates might be one of the broadest ratings in the Navy. If there is a machine in the Navy there is a Machinist Mate who operates, maintains, repairs and fabricates it [or for it]. From personal experience MMs on submarines tend to be more jack of all trades but many times do not get to be as specialized as some in other parts of the Navy.

As to the MR rating, while it is closer to what you do currently most MRs do not do a lot of travelling [though they my have some on Carriers I'm really not sure as I never served on surface ships]. MRs are most commonly found in shipyards, repair yards, tenders and shore support facilities. So being an MR would limit your opportunities to "be haze grey and underway"

Machinery Repairman

Quote:
MRs are skilled machine tool operators. They make replacement parts for a ship’s engine auxiliary equipment, such as evaporators, air compressors and pumps. The repair of deck equipment, including winches and hoists, condensers and heat exchange devices are completed by Machinist Mates. Machinery Repairmen assist "MM's" by repairing or producing parts in the machine shop. Shipboard MRs do not frequently operate main propulsion machinery, primarily performing machine shop duties.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List

Last edited by Grendel; 01-04-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote