Thread: Red Dot Sights?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
toymachine
Sidewinder Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
One thing that really helps on occluded sights is when you are off-side-eye dominant, i.e. right-handed shooter with left eye dominance. I didn't realize this until I started using a daisy led sight at night. At night, you can't see much through a daisy, but if your other eye can track the silhouette, you can put a ball on it.

I have a Armson max-duty on my P-style trilogy. I have put that sight on other markers, but is easier and most useful on the pistol. With a pistol, you can bring the sight to your eyes, rather than bringing your head to the marker. I don't use it all the time, but it has some good uses.

Paintballs aren't perfect, but they do have an average cone of impact. With a target at distance, you can use a pistol with a sight and have a chance to hit that is as good as any other setup. Compensating for wind is easy, and you can return to shooting at a particular bunker with a known drop (say six feet over will put the ball in the right spot on average).

Ambush; when you know where they will come out, you put the dot where your average cone will definitely cover the target and not halfway on the bunker.

Snapshot; check your grip and hold before you pop from cover. Trust the dot exactly, shoot and come back.

Shooting angles through holes; when you have some monkey shooting at you from crack or small second story window and you can't hose them down, a sight will let you figure out your shot quickly and come back on line when a opportunity presents itself.

Ignore it; just because you have a sight doesn't mean you have to use it. Using a sight will help you develop the feel for a marker quickly. You may not want it at all after a while. There are also play structures where you can't use a sight very well; don't force yourself to use a sight.

I'm waiting for PTP to start making tritium sights again. Daisy sights only last me a few night games, but it's fun one-shotting people in the dark at a distance.
Thanks Spider! I'm definitely going to look into the Pro Team model you referred to. I might also end up getting the old Dye Izon type site form Rage, just cause he'll sell it to me super cheap. That said, I like what you have to say about the Pro Team Max duty sight. That looks exactly like what I wanted - especially considering you said it works best on a pistol like setup, which is EXACTLY what I'm using it for

Just to be crystal, this is the Pro Team Max Duty sight you were referring to?

toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote