View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
turbowagonman
Old school from way back!

Post Drop Zone Paintball in Warren Ohio review (lengthy but complete)

I drove to Drop Zone Paintball yesterday (60 miles & 1.5 hours) because I heard of a FB special they had going on. It was a pretty good special, $5 admittance, $5 all day air and Valken Graffiti for $50 a case. I play pump so I only needed a half case $25+$5+$5= $35 ($37.36 actually) to play until dark. I'm thinking cool deal (this was the beginning of the day).

I arrived at around 10:00 am, went in took care business, brought my gear bag with everything in it to the staging area. While I was looking for a place to put my stuff I noticed there was a place under cover right outside the pro-shop but that was occupied by the shops team. I saw some tables along the screening so I saw which table had the smallest puddle around it and used that one. Here in Ohio we've had snow and we hit our "January Thaw" so all the snow has melted plus we've had some rain. I knew it was going to be a wet day so no big problem it wasn't that big of a puddle. Once I started to get all of my gear out and bag all broken down I happened to notice they had another "Staging" area, this one was dry with concrete side walks and under some tree's so good for the summer play, but all my stuff was already out and I was just too lazy to put it all back together and move.

I then went and chrono'd; it's pretty lax, as long as they don't hear the alarm you're cool to play. I then started to wait for the first game while more people arrived and go through all the paces. The first game started around 11:00 am and we went to their scenario field, we then picked teams and went to our respective sides (7-on-7 or 8-on-8 I believe). This field was pretty good size with some good bunkering and structures. This was when I noticed the first peculiar thing, there was no refs or judges. This was a total honor field call yourself out, cool. I don't have a problem if I hit someone and they wipe I'll just shoot them again, I'm out there to have fun and just play. I know I'm honest so I'm cool with that. Games over and we walk back to the staging area (not that far 200-300 yards maybe). I get all my stuff together for the next game and notice you go get your own air (HPA only). Then I start the wait.......and wait.......and wait, it was probably 45 minutes in between game all day this didn't sit well with other players so they started to bail after the third game.

The third game was in the woods with center flag style play, it was fun but like I said earlier we've had our "January Thaw" so it was wet. It was a pretty good hike to get the field but it was a fun game. The people that run the shop are great people, nice and courteous and just good people all around. By the time of our 5th game there was probably only 3 "non-team" people that stuck around, then the team had their meeting, no game play at this time. So by the end of their meeting I was the only "odd man out" that was still there (1.5 hour wait). I broke out my PM7 and bought 1 bag of paint ($12.50) giving me about 900 rounds (+or-). I did a couple of rounds of practice in their hyperball field with them and it was fun doing that again after 10+ years; it reassured me why I don't want to go into tournament ball again.

All in all it was a fun day, got to meet some great people, got to practice with an official team, got to play paintball, learned about a different field and learned about different guns. I just wish the games wouldn't have had so much time in between. I'm going to go back out there when there is a possibility of more people being out there so the games will be a little faster pace. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being bad/10 being good) I would rate this field a "7". Reason being is, my only complaint was all the time wasted waiting for the next game.
Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 4 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantom for SC and 2 Spyder's plus a bunch of extra parts.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by turbowagonman; 01-13-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: correct grammar and add "review" to title
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote