View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
uv_halo
Paintball Ballistician :P

Post .683, 3g DXS Silver ball

Applying the math to a .683, 3g DXS Silver ball that Bryce Larson and Cockerpunk shot in their dual chrono test. I'm only using the 50ft data as the trajectory was likely straighter (less elevation)
Testing conditions: 1k ft altitude, 70*f
Average velocity at Muzzle: 290.52
Average velocity at 50': 205.71
Note: You could use one single shot. I use averages and not just one shot so that I can get a hypothetical average of the ball orientations.
Calculated BC: .0060 at above conditions

"TrueBC" (adjusted for 70deg f, Sea Level): .0057

I don't need to solve any equations to start making predictions for .683, 3g projectiles.

I'm going to solve for the form factor (i) here as it will come in handy when making predictions for .50cal rounds and hypothetical 'large bore' rounds.
.0057 = (0.0066lbs/.683^2) / i

.0057 = .0141 / i

i = 2.4737
Data and Graphics derived from the exploitation (I use Chairgun Pro, software specifically designed for airgun ballistic calculations):

Note: All initial velocities are 300FPS.
Maximum Range: 94 Yards
Angle for Max Range: 26 Degrees
Terminal Energy: .453FtLb
Velocity Vs Distance

Drop Vs Distance

Energy Vs Distance

Time Vs Distance

Distance Vs Deflection Caused by 3MPH Wind
(a wind strong enough to drift smoke but, not strong enough to move a wind vane, you would barely feel it).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Last edited by uv_halo; 05-24-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: broken picture link
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote