View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
uv_halo
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibbo View Post
Great info UV. What would be interesting is to determine how much energy it would take to get a break of the round, spreading at least enough fill that a player would be called out. Then you could look at that energy and see what the maximum effective distance for each projectile (.68, FS, .50) would theoretically be.
You could then use this data plus the angles needed to reach that distance and make up a ballistics chart, in the same vein that military marksmen/snipers use. Then using a known distance to a target, you could formulate how to hit the target given a straight flight path.
Thanks!

I agree to an extent.

In regards to reliable markings, the problem I've experienced is that the probability of marking is based on impact angle, and 'squishiness' of the impact point. In other words, I've whacked someone, the shell broke but, most of the paint went off of them rather than on. If one wanted to assume 90deg impact angles and a solid target this would be somewhat easy to do either by direct testing or, a crush test of the shell.

In regards to taking the data and converting to an angle / distance chart, I've run into a wall. None of the calculation software can account for degrees of change (they usually work in "Minutes of Angle which is too fine for our purposes).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote