View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #4925 (permalink)
uv_halo
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
Hello all. I know very little about MineCraft and I was hoping you guys could help me out. My Son is very interested in playing. He is 8 and he currently plays the iPod versions of MineCraft. He wants to play online with friends (who he says already play online) and I am a bit concerned about how appropriate the online experience is for an 8 year old. I know the game itself is pretty mild, but I am wondering about fol and inappropriate language and behavior in online servers. Is there any way, other than siting next to my Son while he plays, to get him to play on a age appropriate rated server or something? Are there any parental controls of any kind? Do I just need to find an appropriate server and hope no trolls or predators find it?

What do you guys think?

I am pretty psyched he is showing an interest in the creativity of the game, but I have experience with some of the behavior in online games like TF2, Hawken, etc.
I recently got into minecraft. Some things about Multiplayer (at least on the PC, as I've no experience on consoles):

Two major versions of Minecraft:

"Minecraft" and "Minecraft Server"

Standard edition (paid) allows someone to play single player and share their game world with other players (I believe only on the same local network). You also use this same minecraft to connect to other individual's games and, dedicated servers (over the internet).

Minecraft Server (free) allows someone to setup their own server. These individuals can set the server to be exclusive (via a whitelist) or, open to the public (usually with moderation, i.e. the capability to ban specific I.P. addresses or users). This thread primarily focuses on a dedicated minecraft server administered by one or more folks in this thread.

In my case, I went ahead and built my own linux-based minecraft server, using some old desktop hardware, and Ubuntu Server software. It's open to only one of my good friends, my girlfriend and myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
Wow, I'v been out of it for a while.. .They have Headset compatibility now? That is crazy. and friends lists? My word..

I think you've misunderstood. Minecraft doesn't include a voice chat function. That's provided by third party software.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote