View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
uv_halo
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
Pretty much a styrene Foster slug with paint fill. I like the product but I hate the patent.
Not quite. They are similar in that the hollow back end of a foster slug pushes the center of gravity forward, much the same as the First Strike round. But, if one were to simply copy the shape of the Foster slug and fill it with paint, the center of gravity would be behind the center of pressure.

This product required a fair amount of knowledge of external ballistics and aerodynamics and, plastic manufacturing techniques, and, devising a method of aligning the polymer molecules so that they break under the right circumstances. As for the fins on a foster slug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Contrary to popular belief, these fins actually impart no spin onto the slug as it travels through the air. The actual purpose of the fins is to minimize the friction on both the barrel and projectile and allow the slug to safely be swaged down when fired through a choke, although accuracy will suffer and choke wear will be progressively accelerated when fired through any gauge choked tighter than open.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote