View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bored383
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
USA Crossfire / 'Equalizer' / Taso BE90

I have wanted one of these rare birds since about 2secs after I saw the cover of the November 1987 issue of APG on the news stand. Now many years later I have one. It is quite an interesting paintgun. This will be an added to over time review as I detail my experiences with this bit of paintball forgotten weaponry

First, a couple vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1HtJ6Vnyls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=153Lmt-DEHE

knowledge of how to post vids courtesy of Dan Bacci

The basics, for those that don't know, and to just cover them anyway:

The USA Crossfire was supposed to revolutionize the sport of paintball. At the time of its introduction the sport itself was scant few years old, and most people were still playing with pumps powered by 12gr CO2 cartridges. Constant Air was just beginning to take hold, but it was definitely pump pump pump for everything. And along came the Crossfire, also known as the 'Equalizer', and later as the BE90. It is a double action paintgun. That is, pulling the trigger performs 2 functions - both cocking and firing the paintgun. The long trigger pull chambers the paintball while cocking the hammer back and then releasing it. Besides that, the Crossfire/BE90 had a 20rnd spring fed magazine - gravity feed or rock-n-cock stock class feed were the norm then - allowing it to fire from any angle. It was powered by dual 12gr CO2 cartridges in the grip giving it a fair number of shots between changes. And it had a break open action to allow fast and easy cleaning of the breach and barrel.

The paintgun itself has some mass to it - 4.5lbs empty. It feels substantial in the hand, partly because the whole frame and body is metal with a wrinkle finish on most of it, some sort of enamel I would assume. Other parts appear to be anodized

Now the BE90 is supposedly the illicit chinese knockoff of the probably never released to the public USA Crossfire - the history of all this needs firming up. For a chinese clone this things feels pretty well constructed and sorted out. There are some subtle details that are funny - like on the trap door on the grip for the 12gr's - it is stamped 'C2O' on the inside.

Speaking of that trap door - a nice design detail is a safety mechanism that will not let you open it up until you have twisted the base to degas the gun. Smart.

Another detail - the spring feed uses a reel spring. The housing is on the left front of the paintgun. To reload you open the trap door at the back of the paintgun and pour in 20 paintballs, then pull the follower bolt straight to the side of the paintgun and retract the follower to the rear, then push the follower bolt back in. I will get pics / vids of this.

The collapsing stock is kind of useless, IMO. Maybe I will change my mind after playing with it. The release is clunky, and the stock is wobbly, and the length of pull would probably be too long for most people (I have gorilla arms)

Anyhow, this is my start to this classic review
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.

Last edited by Bored383; 03-19-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote