View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #72 (permalink)
GoatBoy
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I'm playing a game for fun rather than a sport to win. I respect an opponent who acknowledges a good shot whether the paint breaks or not. Such a player is worthy of my respect and thus honorable.
Game/sport, whatever. The key is the rules that form the game/sport.

I hate to dig into this, but do you conversely believe that a player that does not call out on a bounce a dishonorable player?

Quote:
We are engaged in make-believe gun-fighting.

The rules of the game we play vary depending upon participants and dogma. There are other ways of eliminating a player than breaking paint in many games. A barrel tag doesn't break paint. A training knife doesn't break paint. A surrender breaks no paint. I play by the rules of the game but if a player makes a clean shot on me that doesn't break I still call myself out. I hope my opponents see the honor in that but if they don't that's ok too.
And that again highlights the difference between make-believe gun-fighting and a stylized game. That's why we have surrender rules within certain distances. If this were just gunfighting, why would you be required to offer surrender to someone at point blank? Just cap him and move on. Most fields also prohibit player contact, including barrel tags and knives and whatever else you can come up with in this category. People bringing knives to gunfights is one of those make-believe-isms anyways.

Quote:
I've wandered pretty far from the OP's question but I think it ties in. A player that uses bounce padding in the hope of exploiting a technicality in the rules is IMHO dishonorable. If the player just want's to avoid bruises I have no objections.
That's what I'm saying -- it's not a technicality in the generally accepted rules. It *is in* the rules.

I personally am fine if someone wants to attempt bounce padding. Just like the fat guy toting a layer of cake on his body, padding has some amount of physical penalty associated with it, probably directly proportional to its effectiveness.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote