View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Marathon
Hawkeye: Finest Kind

CCM Fan
help with a sick sterling

I just bought a used sterling and it is having a few issues. I am hoping mcb can get me on the right path:
I have a modern stp sterling. I am using hpa at 800 psi feed via a palmers stab. When aired up it does not leak. When I pump the gun it opens the valve and vents down the barrel. The venting stops when I take pressure off the valve. I have added some washers to the valve spring. I can now cock the gun when it is not aired up. If i gently and slowly cock the gun the valve will stay closed, However if I pump the gun quickly (with more force) the valve will open and vent. This does not change when I adjust the stab.

A few questions:
The valve spring that came with the sterling is the same size as a phantom valve spring. Is that the right spring? Sterling need what kind of springs ? spyder springs?
Can a sterling normally be cocked when not aired up? I know most nelsons cannot be cocked when degassed.
I am going to remove the stab and feed hpa in at full pressure and see what effect this has. Any other ideas?
The adjustable hammer does not seem to adjust. As I turn the inner screw nothing seems to move to increase tension on the main spring. I am I confused as to how the adjustable hammer is supposed to function? Can these hammers become uncoupled if turned too far?

That is about it for now. MCB I await your wisdom.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote