View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Specialist
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012

Colt Canada C7/C8 Build Thread

Nearing competition, so I figured I should start a build thread for those interested (some from Facebook have been pestering me).

Pictures will speak for themselves for the time being, I will do a full write up this weekend, time permitting.

Thus far, ALL work has been done by hand. Hand files, hacksaws, etc. I live in an apartment, and don't work in a shop anymore, so no fancy milling machines anymore!
Everything is measured with a yardstick (really), eye balled twenty times, and working slow, you can do anything!


Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions!

March 20, 2013
Started project, bought a A5 off a member here, already had M4 charging handle mod done, I will be revising it later in the project.
Ordered furniture.

April 2, 2013
Parts arrive, basic mock-up (note nothing is fitted yet)




April 2, 2013
Work begins on A2 Solid Stock
The inside of the stock had "rails" for the lower receiver, I used those as guides and support onto the basic A5 CAR stock buffer tube.
Used Dremel to cut channels and file to modify stock.






Trial and error, about 2 hours of work out on my cold deck



Still has a slight gap, 30min of hand filing:




April 3, 2013
Work begins on C7 handguard. A5 body needed a serious (scary) diet. All work done by hand with a file. Took about 4 hours, but if you're going to do this, you may as well do it right!






Delta Ring mock-up





Works like the real steel counterpart! (Minus the spring and collar, close enough for me!)




End cap holds everything together!



Strong enough to hold entire marker by it!




Details:







April 4, 2013

Modded handguard to accept Cyclone. Probably the most unpleasant and time consuming part of this project.







April 9, 2013

Work begins on the charging handle! I gave up with the Dremel, so I am heading to a local machine shop to get some real work done.
Here is the prep work:

"X's" are areas to be removed further by the mill, using a hand file on a deck railing isn't accurate enough...






Underside of the Tacamo AK rail. JB Welded over my failed work with the Dremel, so that I have a mostly clean slate for the mill. Also filled the massive void for the stock rear A5 sight.




Also cut the rail to the proper length:



Here is about how low the rail now sits. It will be about 1/8" lower after the A5 is milled. I've lowered it about 1/4" already, so I'm pretty happy how it sits now.





More pictures after I'm done at the machine shop!

Last edited by Specialist; 04-09-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Specialist is offline   Reply With Quote