View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
PistolRogue
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
Get 5/8th stock?
The problem with that is the parts I'm making need a different diameter hole drilled in each side, one side gets a hole for a 1/4-28 thread, the other a 1/8 NPT thread. So at some point it needs to be flipped and the final product is short, just an inch to inch and a half. Final diameter has to be 1/2" max or it won't fit where it's intended to be installed. I could conceivably just leave a 1" portion of it that I leave in 5/8 and hacksaw it off at the end but I feel like with the particular lathe in question it'll be harder to get it chucked up straight with that short of a piece actually making contact with the chuck, if that makes any sense. Would also waste a lot of material that way. Material that's already more expensive then the same length 1/2" stock.

And yes, this will be getting turned at lower speed, I have no reason or desire to be turning this at 3200 RPM or anything stupid like that. I'm an amateur, not an idiot.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote