View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
EL17E 76
MCB Member

The movie is saying 70 years after the formic war in which Mazer defended earth - book says 100 years after the second war in which Mazer defended earth - cannot quite tell the actual movie timeline as I have read differing "reports"

so he jumps from basically 6 years old to 10 years old(the actor is 14 IRL) they are making him in the movies

They are compressing Enders timeline of 4/6 years of battle/command school into one year for both - but supposedly keeping in all of the morality choices - has anyone heard if the tablet game will be in the movie?

Quote:
The plot for the long-awaited film adaptation of Orson Scott Cardís 1985 Sci-Fi Novel Enderís Game will parallel that of the book, but will take place over a shorter period of time in the characterís lives.
The novelís plot line will be compressed to span about 1 year of the protagonistís life in the upcoming feature film says director Gavin Hood in an interview with Entertainment Weekly:
The decision was made very early on to compress the time period into about a year, so that we could have the same actor from beginning to end.
Enderís Game as it was originally written begins with the main character, Andrew ĎEnderí Wiggins as a 6-year-old gifted school child who is recruited to attend Battle School. The book then follows Enderís education through his early promotion to Command School at the age of 10, to his eventual colonization of a previously alien planet several years after his departure from Command School.
Hood states that he made this decision to alter the storyís timeline in consultation with Orson Scott Card, and that the bookís dark ending Ė and the issues of morality that arise Ė will remain intact; further saying that he is a fan of the book, and does not wish to change the story. This statement of similar plot in a shortened time begs the question: Will this adaptation be able to successfully fit at least 6 years worth of a characterís storyline into a compressed 1-year time span, and satisfy its cult following and new fans alike? Only time will tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote