View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
Lohman446
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
I've been shot in the stomach by a guy who failed to chrono in his 98. It was shooting darn near 500 fps. Left a nasty bleeding welt that did not fade entirely until four whole months had passed. I've also seen images of people whose eyes have been hit by paintballs. I'm pretty sure I know all about how "unsafe" a paintball can be.

However, if everyone is chronoed in to 300fps or lower, which is the speed at which the masks are rated to handle, and are wearing said masks, I don't really see anything unsafe here. I never once suggested that people intentionally bonus ball each other, but if you are shooting off a rope and someone walks into it... they're going to get lit the heck up.

If our sport was so unsafe, many more people would be hurt on a regular basis, by paintballs, and hardly any local field would be able to operate simply due to costs of insurance.

Instead, data shows that you're more likely to sprain an ankle or fall and hurt yourself than be actually injured by a paintball, provided that everyone chronoes in and wears a mask. Sure, sometimes you welt up, but I'd hardly call that lasting permanent damage.
I always thought it was amusing that the people who benefit the most for the "fast" style of play, close play, and run throughs (the paint manufacturers) are also seemingly the only people to even attempt to isolate themselves from liability. I am betting we have all seen, and likely ignored, the warnings about distances on the side of the box.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote