View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
uv_halo
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
The following came from the SR-1 section, but I thought this is where we can talk about it like civilized cannibals.
Ugggh, so many issues between those two posts.

I don't know much about how snipers were handled at the event level. I know Dorsai, on the Allies side, had a pretty thought out list of ideas for their use on his side.

I think a lot of scenario promoters are still trying to wrap their head around them. I personally would advocate that they be written into the scenario such that if someone get marked by a special filled FS round, they are out with no healing option (simulating the lethality of sniper fire), and specific individual targets (generals, props, etc) be worth points. I would also support each side having a limited number of these individuals (much like how rocket shooters are regulated). I personally, wouldn't have a problem with ROF restrictions (mechanical Semi-Auto Only, with no RT/etc, or electros with BPS turned way down, i.e. Billy Ball mode), and restrictions on large capacity magazines (however, I think 'large capacity' may be debatable).

On one hand, I like the idea of 'pre-qual' but, I'd hate to be the one to drive 800+ miles and for nothing but bad luck fail the pre-qual. then if you extend that out, one side could have more folks pre-qual than the other and that could introduce further problems. Another problem would be those that take a 'sniper' position only so they can run around in a ghillie/bounce suit, and fire FS like they normally shoot paint. That's what we need to prevent- I propose equipment restrictions like I mentioned above.

A related problem with large scenarios like this is that they get frequented by loads of folks just looking for the "Big Game" and they bring their typical 'speedball in the woods' mindset.

If I have a problem with an event that's not handled to my satisfaction (within reason) by the ref staff, I have no qualms about going directly to the promoter, at the event.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote