View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
ToyBox
Tinkerer

Using barrel kits with the X7 or Crossover

I really like the way Tippmann has set up the mechanicals in the X7 Phenom and the Crossover. I like being able to run without a battery and have a reliable spool drive moving paint in a relatively efficient marker.

My biggest complaint with both of these markers is the stock barrel that they come with. The X7 stock barrel is easily the least accurate barrel I've ever used. It's a good thing the market is filled with third party barrels.

So I purchased some SLY barrel backs and their double carbon fiber barrels at a really good price. I've been using one of the series with the autococker backs and very happy with the barrel.

Unfortunately, the unique design of the X7 and Crossover bolts are causing jams when used with smaller bored barrel backs. I made the following two videos to show the issue and what I've done to address it.

SLY barrel backs with Tippmann X7 and Crossover - YouTube&fs=1" width="644" height="390">SLY barrel backs with Tippmann X7 and Crossover - YouTube&fs=1" />SLY barrel backs with Tippmann X7 and Crossover - YouTube">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLY barrel backs with Tippmann X7 and Crossover - YouTube - SLY barrel backs with Tippmann X7 and Crossover - YouTube

Note my surprise at the end of the video when it worked on the X7. I'd recommend taking 1/4" off the back rather than 1/8" to avoid the jams.

Comparing SLY barrel backs to the stock barrel - YouTube&fs=1" width="644" height="390">Comparing SLY barrel backs to the stock barrel - YouTube&fs=1" />Comparing SLY barrel backs to the stock barrel - YouTube">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Comparing SLY barrel backs to the stock barrel - YouTube - Comparing SLY barrel backs to the stock barrel - YouTube

What surprises me the most is that I couldn't find anyone else talking about this. It could be that my Google-Fu is failing me or maybe there is government hush money involved. I know that the Crossover hasn't been welcomed as much as expected (I blame the Gog Emney for being a solid mechanical at less than half the price) but I still would have thought there would be some chatter about aftermarket barrels causing jams on these markers.

If I'm missing something, I'd love some feedback.

Gear:
Permanent collection (no plans to trade or sell): DRV, mech Ion
Current playable markers (These all get played with but I'd be willing to trade or sell for the right offer): Springfed Automag, Empire Resurrection, Bob Long Vice, Ego 7, Inception Sniper, TiPX, X7 Phenom, SP-1, 3357
Traded or sold: DM10, Orracle, Black Magic, PGP, Empire Sniper, Kaos Pump, Diablo, PMR 7, 2012 Rail
Wish List: Gargoyle, Karni, Phantom, Ego 3.5, Shocker SFT, Duck, Karta Mag, Reptile VIS, Luxe, Nasty Typhoon, CCM MBP... the list just goes on and on...
ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote