View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
uv_halo
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude View Post
to be honest, i wouldn't even bother comparing your results to other peoples results. the gun is not the same, the paint is not the same, etc. just get the data for YOUR tests, and let the results speak for themselves.

at least, that is how i look at paintball accuracy tests. i view each one as unique, and only compare data in one test (ie, i don't compare punkworks results to rntlee's results, etc).
Actually, with regular paint, I fully agree, storage means to storage means, batch to batch, brand to brand, year to year will introduce different characteristics that can and will affect the paint. However to be clear, rntlee never did tests that contradicted punkworks' data. He actually tested ideas as to what about paintballs makes them perform so poorly, and what kind of things could be done to improve their performance.

As for First Strike Rounds, From box to box, year to year, there has been very little change in the first strike rounds. The weights and sizes have largely remained the same. The most significant thing I've observed would be an improvement to the injection point on the nose (the last couple years have been improved over the first couple years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottallen1986 View Post
Honestly, I would say scrap the MR5.

I own and have used with FSR:

BT Tracer
Hammer 7
MR5
Milsig Paradigm Pro
T9
TPX

And used on an outdoor gun range a buddy's DAM against all of these. The 468 after I put a reg on it, is pretty accurate, but the best, shot-shot velocity consistency, and total accuracy, is my BT Tracer by FAR. I made up a little side mounting sten like mag for it. It takes cocker threads, is closed bolt, and would be easy enough to put a reg onto for further velocity improvement.

I lowered my MR5's spring strength, adjusted the pressure with a plamer reg, have a barrel/breach adapter for it so I can use other spyder threaded barrels, but it still kicks quite a bit when shooting and has lots of moving parts and the rounds don't sit in a breach. It's just not that great of a platform to be using for such a precise set of tests, in my opinion.

If you want, I can mail you out my Trracer. The mag system can be a bit tricky at first but its nothing an engineer can't figure out. You can also have it right side up too and remove the variable of the round not being fired/seated properly each time due to the open bolt aspect of the MR5. I'm not using it much anymore so if you want, and think it will help as I do, I can send it your way.

Also you'll need to get the centrifuge thing going too. I don't think the tapping is cutting it. I've got a game in a few weeks in Houston I'll be going to, but after that I can send the centrifuge out too if you want. You'll just need a cordless drill to spin it.
I think the difference between markers in general (i.e. open bolt vs closed bolt vs pump, etc) would come down to how the markers are mounted, and velocity consistency.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote