View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
D G
Team-PAIN

Gun Hits Rule in Scenario Play

Should gun hits count in organized scenario play?
- i've seen similar topics quickly degenerate, i'm asking a specific question.
- i don't care about outlaw field rules.
- i don't care about commercial recball/woodsball/speedball rules.
- my question pertains to a specific game format, scenario paintball.
I'm not setting up a poll or anything. I'd like to hear intelligent thoughts on the matter. If you see this same post on other forums, it's because i've decided to do my own little survey and would like a broad field.
Thanks in advance.

---------------

I'm going to present my opinion. I dislike fields that do not count gun hits. Here's why:

- overshooting is fairly common,. it's no malicious, it's to make sure that something goes past the shield (i mean, gun), connects with and breaks on the body.

- blind firing is a very common occurrence. very hard to enforce at an event where you may have several hundred players or more.

- there's a lot of "bunker tanking", by players sticking a barrel through some hole, effectively making themselves into a tank.

- "the splatter all over my arm is from the gun and that doesn't count" excuse is common.

- "you hit me in the gun first, i shot you, then you hit my body" excuse is common.

- people tend to charge and keep shooting despite being hit, because they like to believe that paint is only breaking on their gun.

- temper flare-ups (especially toward the end of the day), caused by who hit who first and/or overshooting arguments are more likely to occur.

- constant calls for paint-checks distract the refs. i realize that this is their job, but the games would go smoother and allow refs to focus on other important tasks if all breaks counted.

- "reality" argument. to me, it's non-sensical. if your gun is hit, then there's a good chance that you can't use it, making you useless. go to the dead box and come back with a "fixed" weapon.

* field owners like this rule because it brings in money

* inexperienced players like this rule, because they get to stay in the game longer

* players who just like to shoot like this rule, because they just get to mindlessly shoot. it's cool if it's their thing.

*in general, the "gun hits don't count" rule results in a lower skill-level game.

that's my opinion. i'd like to hear others.

Last edited by D G; 04-24-2006 at 01:30 PM.
D G is offline   Reply With Quote