mcarterbrown.com  

Action Markers Sentinel, AM-P Illusion

Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sentinel Questions!

Hey guys,

I've recently acquired 3 Sentinels, and started going through them this weekend to get them all cleaned up and working all nice and whatnot. Have a couple questions though!

1.) Does anyone have a list of the Sentinel's o-ring sizes? I have a few that need replacing, and if I can do it cheaply, I'd like to go ahead and take care of all of them.

2.) Does anyone make or stock any parts for the Sentinel? Rednecksniper - if you make anything, or are considering making anything for the Sentinel, get a hold of me .

3.) Can someone enlighten me regarding the different Sentinel valves? This is kind of a two-parter, so here:

3a.) I know there were supposedly some low-pressure valves make along with the standard valves. Supposedly the standard valves operate best near 800-850psi; does anyone know what pressures the low-pressure valves were good for, and what the actual differences between the two were?

3b.) In disassembling my Sentinels this weekend, I noticed two different valve body / cupseal designs. Please check these out:

First, the bottom of the valve bodies:

Second, the top of the valve bodies:

Third, the valvestem / cupseals:

You'll note the middle valve body has a "sealed" bottom port where a retaining screw keeps tension on the body, rather than the "open" port of the outside two. I should note that the dimensions of all other openings in the valve are exactly the same between all of them.

You'll also note the middle cupseal is made of a different rubber, and in addition, it measures nearly 0.06" longer than the other two (attributable to the metal valve stem, not the cupseal). The thickness of the valvestem is exactly the same between all of them, and the "blowback flat" cut is also identical between all three.

Can anyone enlighten me on the different valve setups I have? At this point, I have no idea weather the minute design differences are relevant in any functional aspect at all, but I'm curious about the change at least.

If anyone can provide any answers or leads on all of the above, it would be much appreciated .
Old 03-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball is my Obsession

Oh, I did not know there were lower pressure sentinel valves. I would love to know the difference. My sentinel only like co2. It stumbles even with 800 psi hpa.
pghp8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have a lot of AM info, as well as extra rebuild kits and cupseals for Diadems and Sentinels.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Metal Whittler

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I am actually working on putting one of my balanced valves in a customers sentinel. The only valves offered for any am guns other then the ones pictured above (to my knowledge) were made by me. I also make Venturi type bolts to fit all am guns.
Rednecksniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Redneck - keep me updated with how that goes, and if you'd be interested in doing more. Even feel free to contact me if you need dimensions of anything (even though I'm sure you have that covered), or a tester.

Also, are you saying that there weren't any LP valves made? I could have sworn I read somewhere that there were some in existence, but I could definitely be wrong. Also, is there no real significance to the different valve designs I have above?

Frizzle - let me know if you'd be willing to part with any of the rebuilds (assuming the o-rings aren't all dried out or something), and definitely let me know if you have any AM info that you think would be of use! I'm looking to educate myself on the Sentinel and AM as much as possible beyond what I already know.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Metal Whittler

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
the only thing i ever read was that action bob would run diadem valve pins in his illusion. which is just a necked down version of the regular pin. it is possible that someone at am made some one offs but i dont recall reading/hearing that.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Found some threads on that "other site" that are pretty relevant:

Specimen 1
Specimen 2
Specimen 3

...and that's about all I can find :/
Old 03-25-2014, 12:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Metal Whittler

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I only briefly skimmed those links. From what I read they are talking about the necked down valve pin. I do not understand the low pressure spring they were talking about unless it went with the low pressure poppet. 350psi is a decent drop from the stock 400-425 sweet spot. My first gen valves dropped it to 225-250 and my balanced valves are 125-150. I did manage to make a magnetic valve that I got down to 90psi at 285+- .

I wish we still had access to some of the guys that were behind this great company.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sizes #'s for the various o-rings in the Sentinel.

The Upper Bolt, ASA adaptor, and Tank o-rings are 015
The Hammer and Valve seal are 016
The Valve Camber is a 114
The Lock Bolt outer o-ring is a 113
The Lock Bolt inner is a 205
The Barrel is 017
The Velocity Pin, and ASA are 011
The Feed tube is a 120
hitman0937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednecksniper View Post
I only briefly skimmed those links. From what I read they are talking about the necked down valve pin. I do not understand the low pressure spring they were talking about unless it went with the low pressure poppet. 350psi is a decent drop from the stock 400-425 sweet spot. My first gen valves dropped it to 225-250 and my balanced valves are 125-150. I did manage to make a magnetic valve that I got down to 90psi at 285+- .

I wish we still had access to some of the guys that were behind this great company.
Huh, the stock ones operate down that low? I guess found all sorts of misinformation. Good to know - now I get to consider some regulator setups. And, again - should you decide to produce more valves for the Sentinel, let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman0937 View Post
Sizes #'s for the various o-rings in the Sentinel.

The Upper Bolt, ASA adaptor, and Tank o-rings are 015
The Hammer and Valve seal are 016
The Valve Camber is a 114
The Lock Bolt outer o-ring is a 113
The Lock Bolt inner is a 205
The Barrel is 017
The Velocity Pin, and ASA are 011
The Feed tube is a 120
Awesome. Thank you very much.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Action Markers