mcarterbrown.com

Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwose View Post
How cool - I was about to post about a classic mag, in the cold, with CO2. But this post is almost exactly what I was looking for.

My experience: My classic lvl7 mag is happy with co2 until it gets to about 40 degrees or a bit lower. Then the on/off and power tube o-ring start acting up.

I have tried a Palmer stabilizer and a huge Air America expansion chamber to fix it, but nothing really helps.

My conclusion is that there is something in the valve itself that doesn't like co2. Perhaps the reg fills so fast that the pressure drop causes it to freeze?

Hm - I wonder what it would be like if you turned the valve reg up to basically disable it, and adjusted the pressure with a stabilizer, so there would be less pressure drop in the valve? might make the gun less consistent, but it would be worth it to have a winter co2 setup.

In other news, my Blazer works great in the cold with co2, and so does my SL68II. My Phantom, not so much, but I'm working on a regulated setup to help with that. Yes, I love Palmer regulators!
Glad this helped someone else.

What you described is exactly what I had happen. First two shots were ok, then the on/off and power tube o-rings started to leak. It seems like they just got too cold.

It would be interesting to see if it could run off just a Stabilizer with the built in reg opened all the way up. But I already had the Stabilizer regging the pressure down to 600 psi and the built in reg was dropping it to 400 psi. It seemed like it was recharging too fast for the CO2 (yeah, I know it's just a classic valve). But when the CO2 goes from 400psi to filling an empty (0psi) dump chamber, I guess there is so much volume that the gas needs to fill that something thermodynamically is going on that causes the temperature to drop. The o-rings get cold and fail to seal. So I'm not sure how moving the regulator further from the dump chamber is going to help all that much. You are still going to run into the issue of 400psi on one side of the on/off dumping into 0psi upon recharge. The o-rings in the mag just don't tolerate the cold very well and I don't think you can change them out.

My mag just ran so well on compressed air that I really don't think I'll go back to CO2 on it. It was extremely consistent over the chrono (field limit is 280, set it to 275 and never saw anything below 270 or above 280).
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Owld Skewl

I hate it that the answer to all of my problems is "get HPA" I guess I need to get a scuba tank to fill 1.5 hours away for my outlaw games. Bummer.

'wose
Old 12-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I hate it that the answer to all of my problems is "get HPA" I guess I need to get a scuba tank to fill 1.5 hours away for my outlaw games. Bummer.

'wose
I totally agree. I've been playing for 6 years now and I just got a compressed air tank. CO2 is fantastic when you have it set up correctly and the gun can run on it. In summer weather, my mag does just fine on CO2. Even down to 45 degrees it was ok. But when the temps dropped to the 30's, it just sucked. And sustained fire tended to cause issues as well. I'm still going to use CO2 on my other markers. Compressed air really just solves a lot of headaches with the mag for me.

Plus a gauge is nice for knowing how much you have left in your tank. I've on more than one occasion gone out for a final battle with a nearly empty tank.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Marathoner

Quote:

'wose
Tom Kaye (the Automag's inventor) is coming out with a miniature compressor for exactly your situation. A scuba might be cheaper in the short run, but the compressor (if you have a shop compressor) will be a lot more convenient.

Info here: Automags.Org Online Forums - Miniature High Pressure Air Compressor for Tank Refills??

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs