mcarterbrown.com

Old 01-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Bolt and sear durability...

Although I have owned a Classic Automag for a little over two years now, I don't have a great deal of history with them. One little tidbit that I have never picked up in my experience and reading about the Automag is the durability of the sear and bolt. I recently watched the Tom Kaye video from 1992 about the 'Mag and heard him say that the sear was hardened and the bolt was designed to wear before the sear.

Anyone have any idea the lifespan (shot count) of a sear and a Level 7 bolt? I have a straight stock setup and am curious if I will be able to hand my current 'Mag to my son when he is old enough to play in about eleven years without having replaced a bolt or sear. I would say that I maybe put five cases a year through it - I am conservative on paint (oldschooler), break out my Sniper II in favor of the Automag frequently, and only get to play about half as much as I would like.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The stock bolt will last a really long time. Especially if you're conservative on paint. They were designed with the tournament players of the time in mind. Those guys would throw a case a game.

I had a mag and switched the stock bolt out for an A.N.S. bolt. That bolt lasted for a couple of years. It wasn't nearly as strong as the A.G.D. bolt
fossilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to doicomehereoften Send a message via MSN to doicomehereoften

I doubt that you're going to have to replace either, barring a failure not in the sear itself, but in the hinge that attaches the trigger rod to the sear. In my eyes, that's the weakest part of a 'Mag, next to o-rings. But even so, it's likely that you'll never have to replace it.
I'm really not good at writing signatures. I mean, what is it that you're really trying to do? Write something that somebody's actually going to remember, or even read? Yeah right! Nobody ever actually reads these things.
doicomehereoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

There was, however a problem with bolt chipping if you used one of the centerflag electro frames. I'm not sure why though.
So as long as you're not using one of those you should be fine.
fossilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
JKR

Thanks guys. I think I will pick up an extra bolt and sear just in case there is a catastrophic failure down the line. Plus, should wear take a toll, I will be ready.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
Old 01-29-2007, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to doicomehereoften Send a message via MSN to doicomehereoften

You should go all out and get a Lv 10 bolt and keep your Lv 7 as a back up
I'm really not good at writing signatures. I mean, what is it that you're really trying to do? Write something that somebody's actually going to remember, or even read? Yeah right! Nobody ever actually reads these things.
doicomehereoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
JKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by doicomehereoften View Post
You should go all out and get a Lv 10 bolt and keep your Lv 7 as a back up
Actually, I like the L7 bolt. I don't chop with it and the simplicity of the 'Mag with L7 is magnificent.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs