mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question regarding rear bottle asa

I have an old 68 which is in top condition but has a nasty leak out the rear asa. I checked the tank which was full and the o-ring looks fine, and after tightening it as much as possible it was still leaking. My only conclusion was that an o-ring was missing from the asa; but im not sure if there is even supposed to be one. So does anyone know if those rear bottle asa's had an o-ring inside? If so where can I get one and if not what do you suppose is the problem? thanks alot for the help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
When a game is worth it the distance is just a hurdle, not a wall.
“Political language -- and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists -- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.”-George Orwell

Minecraft Username: Arsnyder388

Feedback
mechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Marathoner

Is it leaking out the back of the ASA (leaky tank o-ring) or leaking out the back of the velocity adjuster (missing/dirty reg seat, velocity set too high, leaky regulator piston o-ring)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C_1nufgDmU
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

The valve holds air fine its the back bottle asa where the problem occurs. I screw the tank as far as possible but air is still escaping around the threading. this is why I thought the back bottle asa would be missing an o-ring(please note that the o-ring on the tank is fine). I have never worked with one so I don't know if the AGD back bottle asa's had an o-ring in them to begin with.
Quote:
“Political language -- and with variations this is true of all political parties, from Conservatives to Anarchists -- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.”-George Orwell

Feedback
Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Marathoner

The ONLY thing that holds air pressue in ANY ASA (out the back) is the tank o-ring. This can ONLY point to your tank reg o-ring having a leak.

Your tank o-ring is leaking.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Both of my AGD back bottle ASA's had long pin depressors in them. With ancient CO2 bottles it was only a little problem, but with new tanks they would press the pin in before the oring was seated, usually just eating the oring on the way out (not when screwing in.) The depressors measured about .089. I ground them both down to about .068, which is right about one full turn. Both mags are CO2, so I can't say anything about the possible flow restriction, but they do have gas pressure one full turn before being completely screwed in.

I also had sanded the peaks of the threads that were razor sharp and drilled an 'o-ring saver' hole in each one. The depressor grind was the final fix to keep it from eating orings constantly.

The old fix for the whole condition is just to put a bottle o-ring in the bottom of the ASA, but my son would forget and lose that one instead.

Last edited by Spider!; 01-08-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well I'm not above admitting I was wrong so I was wrong. I took the gun apart to check for possible problems and then put it back together unfortunately I still found I was leaking. It was at this point I noticed my pump cocker and figured that would be the easiest way to check if the problem was with the tank. Weird thing was it didn't leak, so I took another look at the o-ring and noticed a small (and I do mean SMALL) scratch on it. So I replaced the o-ring and what do you know it worked perfectly. thanks secretweaponevan
Quote:

Feedback
Old 01-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Marathoner

You're welcome. Glad you got it fixed!

Just remember to unscrew the tank completely off before screwing it back on. AGD ASA's slice o-rings reliably.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs