mcarterbrown.com
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Out of Options
 
Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gatineau, Qc

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednecksniper View Post
i understand your safety concern, though i have never seen or heard of a macro line itself blowing. some fittings, and some lp lines but never hp macro line.
Mind you, it's a rare occurence, but I've seen it happen a couple of times.
__________________
Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Spider!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
lol.... I totally didn't read that.... I can get nylon 11 rated for a WP of 625psi which at a 4:1 burst ratio has a burst pressure of 2500psi. But its still irresponsible to run any system above WP. So you may aswell just go with SS, where you have a 12000 psi burst pressure at a 4:1 ratio.
I use both macro and stainless, depending on the pressures. Out of curiosity, where does the practice of a 4:1 factor come from? Usually, if the hose is rated by a good manufacturer for a particular working pressure, I'll work with that.

Since the tanks are only tested up to about 7.5k (not saying that's burst pressure), I would rather blow the hose over anything else, other than a rupture disc.
__________________
My Feedback
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
YS-OFG
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas

4:1 is because 2:1 is the bare minimum (due to some vibration properties that mean it really will respond as though twice the pressure is hitting it), and then the 'shock' of when you originally air it up, or cycle air through it, or change temperatures, etc means you need an additional factor.

Keep in mind, a 2:1 safety factor does not mean you need twice the pressure for a given part to fail. It means that 90% (give or take) of the parts will fail withing a percentage of twice the rating, with the other 5% being either above or below that level. So in theory, if it's a 95% reliability, 5% can withstand more than 2x the pressure, 5% can withstand less than 2x the pressure, and 90% can withstand approximately 2x the pressure. You'll be taking your chances on that bottom 5% when you get near the burst pressure, instead of sticking to the working pressure.
__________________
Quote:
700 shipped Possibly pending member applying for loan
Only on MCB...

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manch Vegas, NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
You can also use black heat shrink to cover everything up and match the body.
Where can you get the heat shrink, is that a hardware store find or a specialty store? That was my biggest beef with SS, it wearing on the finish of the gun.
audioSLAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Make Me King
 
arcticmonkey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednecksniper View Post
i know DPs fittings blow left and right.
You can say that again!
__________________
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My feedback

FOR SALE

SELLING OUT MISC 8/2011
arcticmonkey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
Out of Options
 
Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gatineau, Qc

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioSLAVE View Post
Where can you get the heat shrink, is that a hardware store find or a specialty store? That was my biggest beef with SS, it wearing on the finish of the gun.
Most hardware stores and auto parts stoure should have it. NAPA and Home Depot sells it.
__________________
Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Agg- What you need a Rag?
 
Bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kitchener ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweightnate View Post
4:1 is because 2:1 is the bare minimum (due to some vibration properties that mean it really will respond as though twice the pressure is hitting it), and then the 'shock' of when you originally air it up, or cycle air through it, or change temperatures, etc means you need an additional factor.

Keep in mind, a 2:1 safety factor does not mean you need twice the pressure for a given part to fail. It means that 90% (give or take) of the parts will fail withing a percentage of twice the rating, with the other 5% being either above or below that level. So in theory, if it's a 95% reliability, 5% can withstand more than 2x the pressure, 5% can withstand less than 2x the pressure, and 90% can withstand approximately 2x the pressure. You'll be taking your chances on that bottom 5% when you get near the burst pressure, instead of sticking to the working pressure.
Yeah, Your right, Except parker goes by a 4:1 safety factor, and AFAIK it works very well in the end, but TBH I would much rather have my working pressure way above what I am using it for rather than way below.


Quote:
Originally Posted by audioSLAVE View Post
Where can you get the heat shrink, is that a hardware store find or a specialty store? That was my biggest beef with SS, it wearing on the finish of the gun.
You might Consider taking a look at the 919U-4 series hose then

Parker - 919U-4
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Q: WHat do I have to do to be a Carter's Commando?

A: MAr
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->
 
ta2maki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunny Southern California

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioSLAVE View Post
Where can you get the heat shrink, is that a hardware store find or a specialty store? That was my biggest beef with SS, it wearing on the finish of the gun.
It's primarily an electric part so any place that has electric stuff: Radio shack, home depot, etc. You can get fancy AO tubing from this guy.

Automags.Org Online Forums - AO Logo Heatshrink Tubing
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manch Vegas, NH

Cool, thanks guys about the heat shrink info.
audioSLAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #30 (permalink)
Closer to home.....
 
Zondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednecksniper View Post
i understand your safety concern, though i have never seen or heard of a macro line itself blowing. some fittings, and some lp lines but never hp macro line.
Saw it happen to Whee Mcgee on AO three times in one day at Camp Pendelton. It was a bad day for him. One of the guns wasn't even his...
__________________

My Feedback: Here on MCB BigEvilOnline Automags.org PaintBallNation
Zondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC