mcarterbrown.com

Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Custom User

The piston is not user serviceable.

Regulator Piston Assembly

Part Number: 000684-10
From AGD .....

The Regulator Piston comes as an assembly. DO NOT take this apart. It has a built in blow-off valve that will leak air if your marker becomes over pressurized. The blow-off resets once your pressure goes back to normal. This safety feature is found exclusively in AGD markers. Replace the entire assembly if your marker is shooting at normal speeds and it still leaks out the back.

Maybe get another one.

The usual reason for velocity spikes is dirt on the regulator seat or a worn regulator seat. This is the rubbery oring that goes between the two halves of the valve. Gently clean it and oil it. When you put it back in make sure its facing the right direction.

From AGD site .....

Regulator Seat
Part Number: 000116

The Regulator Seat is the most abused part of the marker. It opens and closes with every shot and every piece of dirt in your air system eventually goes through it. To fix most velocity problems the first place to start is the Reg Seat. Keep it clean! The seat snaps in and stays one way.
adam45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I guess I should probably replace the piston huh... damn, I shouldn't have taken it apart haha. Has anyone taken apart the piston before? Any problems putting it back together?

Regulator seat is ok, I replaced it with a new one today

http://www.usc.uwo.ca/clubs/paintball/index.html

I'll add my Feedback here, because I always forget to ask.
My super awesome feedback of... awesomeness!
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I hope your (first?) Mag experience is not tarnished with these issues. Once you get it working, it will blow your socks off.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Custom User

I dont know if it should be replaced. I've never heard of anyone taking one apart. I would get another one so I was sure it is safe. I'm not sure what it may do to your marker if you don't replace it.

In the mean while try cleaning the Regulator seat. Using a 1000 to 2000 psi fill tank fire it a few times and check your velocity.
Wear your goggles.
If at any time there is so much pressure behind the trigger that it is difficult to pull or you cant pull it. If at any time the marker starts to runaway by firing very rapidly on its own . Stop and degas the marker, pull the trigger a couple of times to be sure its completely degassed. Wait till your new reg gets there.

Keep asking around, the piston may be OK, I'm not sure.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

It for sure is my first mag, after all these problems I feel like I now know the marker inside and out. It takes problems to actually learn how something works. I'll try cleaning the reg seat and then chrono using real paintballs. I have a feeling it's just the reballs, everything in theory is correct.

http://www.usc.uwo.ca/clubs/paintball/index.html

I'll add my Feedback here, because I always forget to ask.
My super awesome feedback of... awesomeness!
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Formerly known as DMex

Ivan. Your piston is fine, don't go buying a new one and Reballs will do that.

Shoot regular paint and the spikes will be minimal. A bigger bore barrel will eliminate the huge spikes but will still spike more then what regular paint would. Find a ceramic barrel for reballs, less sticking on the walls of the barrel.
Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Test it with paint. Tape around the velocity adjuster is unnecessary. I haven't adjusted the velocity on my mag in 3 years. It stays at 270, +/-5.

My feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
b-cuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Custom User

Hmmm... I understood from the first post the tape is on the set screw in the piston. Not on the velocity adjuster. It shouldnt cause any problems on the piston but just in case I got it wrong, dont put tape or lock tight on the velocity adjuster.

BTW theres no techs around my area who can work on my markers. Its pretty normal for that to be the case with mags. The learning curve levels out after a while and when you get the hang of it theres a lot of mods and parts swaps that can help make your marker just right for you. Theres a lot of satisfaction in being able to say you built it or fixed it yourself.

Last edited by adam45; 01-21-2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

Buy some loctite and remove that tape. The tape is going to eventually disintegrate and end up flying through your valve system.
greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Marathoner

Are you using a barrel that is sized to your reballs?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs