mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Air Gun Designs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/)
-   -   Help me out a bit on mags. (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/air-gun-designs/11733-help-me-out-bit-mags.html)

Rap4paintball 02-27-2007 04:19 AM

Help me out a bit on mags.

New to mags, blah blah. Ok. I have basically had an RT mag on my top 10 guns I want to buy list for the last couple years. Not just any Rt mag, but a Classic RT, Z-grip, stainless hard line and left feed body, decent to perfect condition, barrel realy doesnt matter. I just love the lines of the gun, and ever sence the local kick'n paintballs owner (now closed) Karen let me fire her emag a bit, I've just wanted to get one even more.

Dos and donts, Co2 (I'm hesitant to make the switch to HPA) yes or no?, misc. tips of advice, anything really. I just want to know what I'm geting myself into. But I have a good feeling about this. How will the preformance compare to my nova, as I know a mag cannot be compared to a STBB or Tippmann inline (and sheridan, and mokal, and brass eagle, and a few more companies).

Thanks in advance.

PolarMonkey 02-27-2007 04:41 AM

I shoot CO2 through my mags (all classic valved), I run it through a Palmer's Stabilizer first so with the mag's internal regulator its double regged and is quite consistent. Haven't had any freeze up problems with this setup yet. I've never shot a Nova so I can't help you with comparisons there. They don't shoot the quickest, but mine are all single triggered with classic valves, the RT valve and a double trigger would probably shoot a lot quicker. I got addicted to mags after I bought my first one and disassembled the thing, they just exude high quality compared to most other guns out there and I love the compactness of the blow forward design. You can find them for really cheap on Ebay, I've found whole setups with tanks, hoppers, and barrels for as low as $75, I now have 6 of them for this very reason.

Edit: Was browsing mags again on ebay and came across this, pretty close to what you are looking for http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTOMAG-RT-WITH-...QQcmdZViewItem

Rap4paintball 02-27-2007 07:41 AM

I'm watching that like a hawk, especially sence I got outbid yesterday on another, with 5 seconds left. But you dont win them all right? Hopefully I get this one, if not I have a few leads on getting the parts to build one.

Surestick 02-27-2007 09:17 AM

The RT valve is not supposed to be used w/CO2. A classic valved mag will be fine on CO2 as long as you take steps to keep liquid out of the valve, even they do not like liquid at all though.

FWIW, I was hesitant to go HPA as well but ended up buying a Pure Energy 48/3000 tank at boxing day sale at my local PB place for a reasonable price.
It's a bit heavy & doesn't hold that many shots but all fields here have all day air. I figure I can use CO2 on my Spyder when I'm playing outlaw ball. My mag is much happier on HPA and without the Stabilizer I don't get shootdown.
I'm not saying run out & and buy an HPA tank today & you will get all the chicks & cure cancer and be elected president of the world but don't be hesitant to make the switch if you see a good deal on an HPA tank. It will open up the list of markers you can buy & that's a good thing, right?

Walker 02-27-2007 09:28 AM

HPA for RT valves, either one for Classic valves.

Mags are easy and fun to shoot, and it's entirely different than your Nova.

If you use a secondary reg, you will have problems with shootdown. They have a built in reg already, and that's what you use to control velocity.

When you get an HPA tank for the Mag, make sure it's a high output (750-850psi) tank, or an adjustable output. Mags like high pressure input, and the higher the pressure, the easier it is to hit the sweet spot on the RT.

I paid $200 shipped for my current MicroMagRT....

Good luck,

Walker

Walrus 02-27-2007 12:52 PM

I was in a similar situation like you. My old field owner (15 years ago) had a Minimag and I thought it was the coolest gun ever. I had always wanted one and finally I got a good deal on a standard Automag a couple of years ago. I immediately bought a Minimag body and slapped it on there and could have been happier. Now after owning two Minimags and one Micromag I bought a new ULE Mag. It was my first new gun I had ever bought and I loved it. I had to make the change to HPA and it was a pain, but it was for the best. I loved my ULE so much that I changed it into an Emag because I could still use it in mech mode and then change to E mode if I wanted. After using my Emag I sold all my other Mags and never looked back. Yes, HPA is a pain becuase you have to buy a decent size tank for the gas guzzling Mags, but a 68/3000 will get you about 700 shots before you need a refill. If you want more then get a 68/4500 which should get you over 1000.

The classic Mag RTs are nice, but you would be better off to get the updated version with ULE components. It will be extrememly light and with an RT on/off and an adjustable tank you can sweet spot the trigger and really sling some paint if you wanted! They are accurate and reliable and I am finding it hard to beat. If you want to use CO2 then stick with a classic valve as suggested by everyone else and it will still be a great gun!

EDIT: You asked for dos and don'ts and advice. Do get a Level 10 bolt system. And do get a newer RT Pro or ULE based Mag. Don't run CO2 on a RT based valve, only use it on the classic all stainless steel valves. The ULE Trigger kits are nice, but are for use only on the RT Pro or X valves. This excludes the classic valve and the classic RT valve. They really make the trigger pull lighter, but it can be an acquired taste for some. Don't think you will be able to "walk" the trigger on any mag unless it is an Emag (or one with an electro grip) or an Pneumag (or similar variant). Do run HPA if you can afford it and it is available in your area. You will make your Mag function a TON better! Do not put a secondary reg on your Mag. The valve is enough and if you do run HPA your tank will have one on there too. Also get used to center feed or powerfeed becuase there aren't many other options besides warp feed unless you get a classic Automag body or a Micromag body with an adapter.

badkarma 02-27-2007 09:29 PM

Rap4, if you don't mind I need to hijack a little, so hpa straight into the mag is good enough?
Would a palmer stab be able to be used here, would it improve anything or take away any performance? And that is for a lvl 10 or a classic valve either one.

Allfat 02-27-2007 10:18 PM

You can use a stab with CO2 to keep liquid out of the gun, but it is not needed with HPA. If you used a stab with HPA, you would then be triple regging (tank reg, stab, mag reg) the gun and you would probably starve the gun for air.

DarkStar 02-27-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badkarma (Post 107572)
Rap4, if you don't mind I need to hijack a little, so hpa straight into the mag is good enough?
Would a palmer stab be able to be used here, would it improve anything or take away any performance? And that is for a lvl 10 or a classic valve either one.

The main reason you would want to use a Stab with a mag is to help keep liquid C02 out of the valve, you dont really need the regulation. The valve has a regulator built into it. On CO2 you really want anti-syphon in your tank. (Lvl 7 or Lvl 10)

-MR

edit: Ahh, Allfat beat me to it

PJ 02-27-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badkarma (Post 107572)

You have to remember that the Mag has a built-in regulator, so using a PPS regulator AND HPA on a Mag is triple-regging, which if you're not careful can lead to beatdown of the gun (too little pressure if you shoot too fast), not too mention that you may not have enough air pressure getting to the gun after the mag reg for it to work well. An HPA tank on a Mag is just fine, as that's double-regging the air supply. Triple is too much.